About Eakes Athletics Complex
In the two decades since the Campbell University Soccer Stadium opened, spectators have witnessed some of the highest moments in Fighting Camel soccer history and observed the skills of many of the top stars in college play at the facility.
Located on the north border of the Buies Creek campus within the Marion and Mary Eakes Athletic Complex, the Stadium was dedicated in 1986. Since then, many improvements have been made within the complex, most notably the recent addition of the press box and bench pavillions on the south sideline. The new three-level structure features two covered benches, a closed press area for Campbell Athletics staff and a covered top-floor for video streaming.
The athletic complex also plays host to the McLeod Athletic Training Facility, constructed during the summer of 2004. Named in honor of long-time university benefactors, Bernard and Virginia McLeod of Fuquay-Varina, the facility serves as home for Campbell’s nationally-accredited sports medicine program, as well as providing locker room space for the varsity men’s and women’s soccer and softball teams.
Opened in August 2004, the facility includes a 2,000 square-foot athletic training room, the primary space for Campbell’s Athletic Training curriculum. It also contains four locker rooms, plus offices for the athletic training staff, plus the men’s and women’s soccer staff.
Situated in the east end of the Marion and Mary Eakes Athletic Complex, the McLeod Facility frames one end of the Campbell Soccer Stadium. Public rest room facilities for home soccer and softball games are also located on the north side of the red brick structure.
Lights were added at the Stadium prior to the 1994 season to allow for play after dark. A new scoreboard was erected at the southwest end of the field prior to the 2002 campaign. A new Campbell Soccer windscreen, complete with logos and graphics, was added in 2008, while a brick and wrought iron fence was erected in 2009.
In addition to the Soccer Stadium, two soccer practice fields, the Campbell Softball Field and the James Nisbet Tennis Center are located at the Eakes Complex.
Since the women’s program began in the 1992 season, the Lady Camels have fashioned a 91-67-15 record (.569) at the facility, including an 8-0-2 mark in 2004 when CU won the Atlantic Sun Conference regular season and tournament championships. CU’s women finished the 2011 season with a 7-1-0 record at home.
The 1995, 2002 and 2004 A-Sun Women’s Soccer tournaments were also held at the site. In 2004, Campbell set an Atlantic Sun Women’s Soccer Championship attendance record for the semifinal and final rounds at the site en route to its first A-Sun title.
In 1993, the men’s team established its best-ever record at the facility, winning all nine of its matches at home. The Camels matched that perfect home regular season with an 8-0-0 mark in 2008 and finished 9-1-0 at the stadium for the year. In 23 seasons at the Stadium, Campbell’s men own a 146-83-8 home field record (.633).
Campbell’s men knocked off two nationally-ranked teams in 1988 when the Fighting Camels posted a 8-0 regular season record at the Stadium. Third-ranked North Carolina and 10th-ranked Duke fell victim that year to the Fighting Camels in Buies Creek.
In 2005, the Camels defeated 23rd-ranked Davidson at the Eakes Athletic Complex, marking the program’s first win over a nationally-ranked team in 17 years. CU also clinched the Atlantic Sun Conferenceregular season championship with a 3-2 win over Florida Atlantic, improving its home field record against A-Sun foes in the year to 4-0-0.
Campbell’s men notched an 8-1-0 record at home in 2006, when the Camels again led the Atlantic Sun with an average attendance of 639. CU twice set Eakes Complex attendance records in a 1-0 victory over third-ranked North Carolina (1481) and a 4-0 triumph over Lipscomb on Homecoming (1857). CU led the A-Sun in men’s soccer home attendance during ’05 and 2006.
In 2007, the Camels finished second among A-Sun schools in home attendance, averaging 420 spectators per outing, with a high of 1056 for a homecoming win over USC Upstate. Campbell was also one of only three A-Sun schools to average more than 300 spectators at its home women’s soccer contests in 2007.
The Camels again led the A-Sun in home attendance (479) in 2008, including a yearly-high 1187 spectators, who witnessed CU’s third straight victory over (7th-ranked) North Carolina. Campbell hosted the 2008 and 2009 A-Sun Championship tournaments after winning the regular season title each year.
In 2011, Campbell drew with nationally-ranked Furman in the season opener at the Eakes Complex and knocked off ACC member NC State 1-0 in extra time on Oct. 4.
In addition to the 2008 and ‘09 A-Sun men’s championship, CU also hosted the 2000 Atlantic Sun Conference men’s soccer tournament at the facility. Campbell also hosted two Big South Conference men’s tournaments (1986, 1988) at the Stadium.
Six Camels have earned All-America honors while competing at the stadium, two-thirds of which is surrounded by a wooded area. David Doyle, a 1986 All-American who led the nation in scoring, twice tallied five goals in one match at the facility. Another Camel All-American, Juha Miettinen (1988) finished fourth nationally in scoring both as a sophomore and senior (1990). Toni Siikala twice gained NSCAA All-America honors (1993, 1995). Willy Guadarrama earned All-America notice in 2005 after leading the country in goals and points scored per game. Richard Jata (2008) was the sixth CU All-American to perform at the facility. Siikala was third nationally in scoring as a sophomore and second in his senior year. Pasi Kinturi earned All-America recognition following the 1996 season.
Some of the nation’s most talented college players have competed at CU Soccer Stadium, including U.S. National Team performers Tab Ramos (North Carolina State), Dante Washington (Radford) and Thori Staples (North Carolina State).
Seating for 1,000 spectators is situated on an 18-foot earthen ridge across the Bermuda grass pitch from the team benches and press table. The field measures 75x120 yards.