About Jim Perry Stadium
Jim Perry Stadium is the home of Fighting Camel baseball.
Previously known as Taylor Field, the venue dates back to the 1940s and Campbell's junior college baseball days. Taylor Field was named for Herbert B. Taylor, a supporter of Campbell University's athletics programs. Taylor Field hosted the 1985, 1987, and 1988 Big South Conference Baseball Tournaments. Winthrop won in 1985 and 1987, while Campbell won on its home field in 1988.
Following the 2012 season, the field was renamed for Jim Perry, who played baseball and basketball for Campbell from 1956 to 1959. Perry pitched in Major League Baseball for 17 seasons, earning the 1970 American League Cy Young Award as a member of the Minnesota Twins.
Renovations for the facility began in 2011. Upgrades included a new entrance gate and ticket booth, restroom and concession facility, and exterior wrought iron fencing, as well as improved exterior landscaping. On Nov. 12, 2012, Campbell announced it would rename the facility in honor of Jim Perry and carry out further renovations that include a new press box, a grandstand that spans dugout to dugout, and seating for 630 spectators, including 310 chair-backed seats. The Camels played its first game in the refurbished Jim Perry Stadium on Feb. 15, 2013, beating Eastern Michigan 8-2. The stadium was officially dedicated prior to a 6-3 victory over in-state rival Duke on March 26, 2013. The Camels went 31-5 at home during the 2013 season.
The field dimensions are 337 feet down the left field line, 368 feet in left-center, 395 feet to straight-away center, 375 feet to the right-center, and 328 feet down the right field line.
Prior to the 2016 season, ProGrass Turf installed a 2,300 square foot addition behind home plate, spanning between the home and visiting team dugouts. The turf is the latest of several recent enhancements to Jim Perry Stadium. Jim Perry Stadium will also receive another major addition, Jim and Daphne Perry Pavilion, scheduled for completion by opening day 2017.
The new addition will add approximately 200 chair back seats, increasing stadium seating capacity to more than 1,000 seats and providing new offices for the entire baseball staff, a state-of-the-art locker room and a new in-ground home dugout. The Jim and Daphne Perry Pavilion will boast a 1,200 square foot VIP viewing deck and will provide a new home for the entire Campbell baseball operation.