LYNCHBURG, VA. -- Campbell (10-11, 5-2) looks for a split of its 2-game road stretch Tuesday in a 7:00 p.m. tip-off at Liberty. The game will be aired on MASN, Comcast Sports South and on-line via ESPN3.
The Camels have won 7 of their last 9 outings, but suffered a 73-59 setback Saturday at Coastal Carolina.
CU owns at 2-2 on the road in Big South play with wins at Longwood and Presbyterian and losses at VMI and Coastal. The Camels sit atop the Big South Conference North Division standings, one game in front of Radford, VMI and High Point.
The Camels are 2-1 against North Division teams this year with wins over Longwood and Radford.
Liberty (6-15, 2-5) has won 2 of its last 5 outings and stands 5-5 at home this year, 2-2 vs. the Big South in Lynchburg. LU is 1-2 against fellow North Division schools.
Campbell and Liberty split last year's season series with each team winning at home. Despite leading the all-time series 10-9, the Camels are 0-6 all-time at the Vines Center.
The Camels begin a stretch of 4 home games in the next 5 on Saturday vs. defending Big South champion UNC Asheville (3:30 p.m.).
Campbell at Liberty Notebook:
- Campbell enters its final game of month with a 6-2 record in January. CU is 3-2 on the road and 3-0 at home this month despite playing the last 6 games without leading scorer Darren White (21.8 ppg), who suffered a knee injury during the second half of a Jan. 5 win over Gardner-Webb.
- Junior guard Darian Hooker averaged 15 points and shot 58.8% from the floor last week in a win over Radford (69-60) and loss at Coastal.
- Campbell (.454) leads the Big South Conference in team field goal percentage, while Liberty (.414) is last among the 12 schools. However, the Flames are 2nd in 3-point FG% (.372), 7.3 3FGM/game.
- Against the Big South, Campbell is shooting 46% as a team, compared to 40.6% for its opponents, has out-rebounded its foes by an average of 2.0 per game, and is connecting on 72.8% of its free throws. Trey Freeman is averaging 15.6 points and has made 88.6% (31-35) of his free throws vs. BSC competition. Darian Hooker (10.7) and Darius Leonard (9.7) have also raised their scoring averages vs. the league. Andrew Ryan is averaging 9.6 points over the last 5 games. Leek Leek scored 14 points (his highest in Big South play) Saturday at Coastal.
- Last year at Buies Creek, Trey Freeman scored a career-high 28 points and Darren White added 20 as the Camels defeated Liberty 96-82. Freeman hit 9-16 from the floor and 9-12 from the line for CU, which used a late 17-5 run to build a double-digit lead and hit 10-12 from the line in the last 2:55. Joel Vander Pol hit career highs with 20 points and 9 boards for the Flames.
- In the 2012 regular season finale at Lynchburg, Liberty weathered a late 15-3 run by the Camels and held CU to its lowest scoring output of the season in a 49-41 victory.
- Campbell has not won on Liberty's home floor since Jan. 5, 1976 (when both schools were NAIA members) when the Camels earned an 85-78 victory at Jefferson Forest High School (Forest, Va.). Since Liberty moved into the Vines Center, 5 of CU's 6 losses have come by 10, or fewer, points.
- The Camels stand 8-2 all-time against the Flames in games played at Buies Creek.
- Liberty junior John Caleb Sanders (733 career points) and graduated guard Jesse Sanders (1235) rank 3rd among the Big South Conference's all-time highest scoring brother combinations. John Caleb Sanders scored 14 points in both games against the Camels last year.
- Sophomore foward Tomasz Gielo is a member of the Polish U-20 national team.
- Campbell and Liberty met in the 1994 Big South tournament final won by the Flames 76-62 at Charleston, S.C.