BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell squares off against former Atlantic Sun rival Samford Monday in a 7:00 p.m. tip-off at Gore Arena.
The Camels and Bulldogs will meet for the third time since the Bulldogs left the A-Sun following the 2002-03 season. Campbell returned to the Big South Conference prior to the 2011-12 campaign.
Campbell (1-2) is coming off an 82-66 loss Saturday at Morgan State. Chris Clemons scored 19 of his 21 points in the second half, while Shane Whitfield added a career-high 17 points plus seven rebounds.
Samford (1-1) opened the season with an 83-65 victory Nov. 14 at San Diego on the strength of Wyatt Walker's 16-point, 15-rebound effort. Demetrius Denzel-Dyson added 20 points, including 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range.
The Bulldogs then dropped a 58-48 decision two days later at New Mexico State. Walker's 11 points and 14 rebounds could not overcome 33 percent shooting from the floor and 19 Samford turnovers.
- Under the direction of fourth-year head coach Kevin McGeehan, Campbell is 5-1 vs. Southern Conference members with victories last season over VMI and The Citadel. The Camels are 3-0 at home vs. the SoCon in McGeehan's tenure
- Monday's game marks the first of three SoCon opponents the Camels will face in the 2016-17 season. CU travels Saturday to VMI and to The Citadel (Dec. 4).
- In the last meeting between the schools, Samford defeated Campbell 65-56 on Dec. 28, 2014 in Birmingham
- Dr. Brad Creed, who was named Campbell University's fifth president on July 1, 2015, spent 12 years as Samford's provost, executive vice president and professor of religion
- Campbell Director of Athletics Bob Roller in now in his sixth year at the school. He spent more than 11 years as A.D. at Samford, where he oversaw the construction of the 5000-seat Pete Hanna Center
- CU owns a 1-8 all-time record against the Bulldogs in Birmingham, but has not played in the city since 2003 when Samford played its home games at cozy Seibert Hall.
- Samford went 4-3 against the Camels at 947-seat Carter Gym from 1995-2003. On Monday, the Bulldogs will play at 3095-seat Gore Arena for the first time.
- Chris Clemons - the 2016 Big South freshman of the year - produced his 13th 20-plus point game in 33 career games Saturday at Morgan State. He leads the Big South in scoring (21.7) and 3-pointer made (3.7) per game.
- Sophomore C Andrew Eudy has 8 rejections through 3 games (while playing an average of 16.5 minutes) and leads the Big South in blocked shots (3.0 per game).
- Four Camel freshmen - Cory Gensler (28.3), Damontez Oliver (21.7), Marcus Burk (18.3) and Austin Burnette (11.7) - are averaging double figure minutes over the first three games.
- Samford's active roster includes three four-year transfers in junior guard Demetrius Denzel-Dyson (UMass), junior forward Alex Thompson (Auburn) and senior forward Terry Brutus (Ole Miss). Denzel-Dyson shares the team scoring lead (13.5) with sophomore center Wyatt Walker. Alabama transfer Justin Coleman is sitting out the season as a red shirt per NCAA guidelines.