BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Campbell returns to action Saturday in a 1:00 p.m. tip-off at former league rival VMI. The Camels and Keydets squared off in the Big South from 2011-2014 before VMI returned to the Southern Conference.
CU (1-3) is coming off a 66-53 loss Monday against SoCon member Samford. Chris Clemons led the Camels with 23 points, 4 assists, 3 blocks and 5 steals, while Marcus Burk added 10 points off the bench. Campbell was able to trim an 11-point half-time deficit to a pair midway through the second half, but unable to complete the comeback.
VMI (1-3) dropped a 77-67 decision Tuesday at former Big South rival Presbyterian. QJ Peterson led the Keydets with 24 points (6-13 threes), but VMI committed 16 turnovers, which the Blue Hose converted into 24 points.
The Keydets opened the year with a 72-69 loss at Richmond and also fell (88-72) at Virginia Tech. VMI defeated Southern Virginia 78-47 Nov. 15 in its home opener.
- Chris Clemons - the 2016 Big South freshman of the year - produced his 14th 20-plus point game in 34 career outings Monday vs. Samford. He leads the Big South in scoring (22.0) and 3-pointer made (3.5) per game.
- Sophomore C Andrew Eudy leads the Big South in blocked shots (2.5).
- Last year at Buies Creek, Campbell trailed by 18 points in the second half and by 16 (58-44) with 9:32 to go before going on a 19-4 run. Clemons' triple with 3 seconds to play (his second trey in the final 0:46) provided the winning margin in a 66-65 triumph. VMI went the last 5:00 without a field goal.
- In four seasons under the guidance of head coach Kevin McGeehan, Campbell owns a 5-2 record against Southern Conference foes. Since the start of the 2013-14 campaign, Campbell stands 1-0 vs. VMI, 1-0 vs. The Citadel and 0-2 vs. Samford. The Camels were unbeaten against former SoCon members Appalachian State (1-0) and Georgia Southern (2-0) in the span.
- The Keydets are 1-0 at home this year and 0-3 on the road. Campbell is 0-4 all-time at Cameron Hall.
- After leading the SoCon in scoring last year (19.8 ppg), senior guard QJ Peterson was named to the pre-season all-conference team. He leads the '16-17 Keydets in scoring (22.0) and rebounding (7.5), despite standing just 6-feet tall.
- The Keydets face five former Big South Conference rivals this year. In addition to Presbyterian and Campbell, VMI plays at Radford (Nov. 30), then hosts Gardner-Webb (Dec. 3) and Charleston Southern (Dec. 13).
- VMI was picked to finish 10th in the pre-season poll of SoCon media members and 9th in the coaches poll. Campbell's Dec. 14 opponent, The Citadel, was chosen 9th by the media and 10th in the coaches list.
- Six of the 15 players on VMI's roster hail from the state of North Carolina, including junior Fred Iruafemi (Raleigh), who was a teammate of Campbell junior Quinton Ray at Middle Creek High School.
- Campbell has won 4 of the last 6 games in the series with the Keydets - all 4 at Gore Arena.
- During the 2013-14 season, VMI's last as a Big South member, the Camels won 97-93 in overtime at Gore Arena in a game where the lead changed 21 times. CU then dropped an 84-81 decision a month later at Lexington.