BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Campbell continues its 3-game pre-Christmas home stand Monday with a 7:00 p.m. tip-off vs. Johnson & Wales. The Camels (5-5) are coming off a 96-75 loss Wednesday to UNCW, while the Wildcats (3-7) lost 84-78 Friday at Montreat.
The Camels are 2-0 this season against non-Division I opponents, including a 101-45 win over Bridgewater (Nov. 15) and a 92-60 triumph over Allen (Nov. 28). Campbell is the third Big South Conference school that Johnson & Wales has faced this year. The Wildcats fell Dec. 1 at Presbyterian (107-63) and Dec. 10 at Charleston Southern (100-53).
Against UNCW, Campbell shot 70 percent in the second half, but could not overcome a UNCW team that was ranked No.-10 nationally in the NCAA RPI. Shane Whitfield led four Camels in double figures with 25 points. Chris Clemons chipped in 18 (plus 5 assists), Cory Gensler 11 and Andrew Eudy a career-high 10.
- Chris Clemons has scored in double digits 39 times in 40 career outings. He is the nation's 7th-leading scorer (23.4) and is 12th in 3-point FG made (3.6).
- Red-shirt junior forward Shane Whitfield hit career highs in scoring (29), rebounds (10), field goals (9) and free throws (11) in CU's 97-91 win at The Citadel. He made a Gore Arena record 15-of-19 free throws in a 25-point effort vs. UNCW.
- Sophomore center Andrew Eudy leads the Big South in blocked shots (2.0) and is coming off a career-high 10 point effort vs. UNCW.
- Freshman guard Cory Gensler has started the last 9 games and scored in double digits the last two.
- Campbell leads the Big South Conference in 3-point field goal defense (.258), blocked shots (4.6) and defensive rebounds (27.6), while ranking 2nd in field goal defense (.409) and free throw percentage (.717).
- The Johnson & Wales roster includes four products of Central Carolina Community College in nearby Sanford.
- Johnson and Wales is ranked 15th in the latest USCAA national poll.
- J&W is 0-2 vs. Big South Conference schools this season. In those games, Johnson and Wales has trailed by an average of 25 (52.5-27.5) points at halftime.
- In Johnson & Wales' Dec. 1 107-63 loss at Presbyterian, the Blue Hose shot 63 percent in the first half, 56 percent for the game, and hit 30-of-38 free throws while outscoring the Wildcats 28-8 in points off turnovers.
- In a 100-53 loss Dec. 10 at Charleston Southern, Johnson & Wales was outscored 29-5 in points off turnovers and surrendered 62.5 percent shooting in the opening period, 58 percent for the contest.
- Last year in Buies Creek, the Camels made13 three-pointers and five players reached double figures. CU built a 27-point lead in the opening half, thanks to a 20-0 run midway through the period, and never trailed after jumping to a 10-2 lead.
- In Dec. 2014, Camels held JWU to the lowest point total in a game since Gore Arena opened in 2008-09 in a 63-38 triumph.
- Campbell also defeated Johnson & Wales 95-64 on Dec. 21, 2013 in Buies Creek. CU shot 59% from the floor and made 29 free throws.
- Following Monday's game, the Camels close their non-conference schedule at home Thursday (Dec. 22) against Stetson in a 2:00 p.m. tip-off.