BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Campbell concludes a 3-game pre-Christmas home stand Thursday with a 2:00 p.m. tip-off vs. Stetson. The Camels (6-5) are coming off a 90-59 win Monday over Johnson & Wales, while the Hatters (6-7) dropped a 93-74 decision Sunday to Fort Wayne.
Stetson is the fourth former league rival the Camels will play this year, following dates with Samford, VMI and USC Upstate. The Hatters, who advanced to the final of the 2016 Atlantic Sun Conference tournament, and Camels were league rivals from 1994-2011.
On Monday, Campbell tied a school record by hitting 16 three-point shots in its win over Johnson & Wales. Freshmen Cory Gensler (18 points) and Marcus Burk (14) led four Camels in double figures, while combining to make 10-of-14 triples. Gensler hit 6-of-6 treys to set an individual Gore Arena mark for highest 3-point percentage as he reached double digits for the 3rd-straight game.
In addition to making 47 percent of its 3s (16-34), Campbell was 15-of-21 (.714) inside the arc vs. Johnson & Wales.
- Chris Clemons has scored in double digits 40 times in 41 career outings. He is the nation's 14th-leading scorer (22.5) - tops in the Big South - and is 11th in 3-point FG made (3.55).
- Red-shirt junior forward Shane Whitfield ranks 8th among Big South FT% leaders (.735), 13th in rebounds (4.9) and 17th in scoring (12.6).
- Sophomore center Andrew Eudy leads the Big South in blocked shots (1.9) and is shooting 63% from the floor.
- Senior guard Kyre' Hamer tallied a season-high 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting with 4 assists in the win over Johnson & Wales.
- Campbell and Stetson have faced one common opponent this season. The Citadel won Nov. 18 at Stetson 116-112, while Campbell won at The Citadel 97-91 on Dec. 4.
- Stetson stands 1-4 on the road this season, but the losses have come at East Carolina (73-50), Air Force (85-72), UCF (81-45) and Iowa (95-68). The Hatters won at SIUE (80-72) Dec. 7 in their last away game.
- Campbell has won its last 5 meetings with the Hatters, but the teams have not met since the Camels left the Atlantic Sun Conference after the 2010-11 season. Stetson held a 17-14 lead in the series while both schools were members of the Atlantic Sun Conference (1995-2011).
- CU has won 8-of-15 games vs. Stetson in Buies Creek. CU is 3-0 all-time vs. the Hatters at Gore Arena.
- Forwards Derick Newton and Brian Pegg were preseason A-Sun all-conference selections. Stetson was picked 5th in the preseason A-Sun poll. Pegg missed 9 games due to injury before returning to score 7 points Dec. 10 in Stetson's 87-78 win over South Alabama. Newton scored in double figures in 17-straight games before being held to 8 points in Sunday's 93-74 loss to Fort Wayne.
- Both Campbell and Stetson have posted better results when getting off to good starts this year. Campbell is 5-0 when leading at halftime, while Stetson is 5-1 when holding the advantage at the break. Campbell is 1-5 this year when trailing at intermission and Stetson 1-6.
- Stetson is 0-1 against Big South Conference schools this year following an 80-66 OT loss to Radford in the Savannah Invitational. Campbell is 0-1 against Atlantic Sun members this season after an 80-73 OT loss to USC Upstate Dec. 4 at the Holy City Hoops Classic.
- The Camels open Big South Conference play Dec. 29 at Longwood before hosting Presbyterian on New Year's Eve (2:00 p.m.).