FARMVILLE, VA. – After winning four of its last five games, Campbell (7-5) opens Big South Conference play Thursday with a 7:00 p.m. tip-off at Longwood (3-8).
The Camels are coming off an 81-72 win Dec. 22 over Stetson. CU closed the game on a 10-0 run to claim its second-straight victory.
Chris Clemons led five Camels in double figures with 22 points, plus 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks and no turnovers in 37 minutes. Freshman Marcus Burk added a career-high 15 points on 5-of-7 threes, while Shane Whitfield chipped in 14, Kyre' Hamer 12 and Cory Gensler 10. Big South leader Andrew Eudy finished with a career-best five blocked shots. CU made 19-of-22 from the line (.864) and matched the Gore Arena record for fewest turnovers in a game (5), their lowest mark of the season.
Longwood will play just its third home game of the month when the Camels visit Thursday. The Lancers are 3-2 at Willett Hall this year, including an 86-80 win over Dartmouth on Nov. 28. Campbell stands 2-2 on opponents' home floors.
- Campbell has won its last seven conference openers, including all five since re-joining the Big South in 2011-12.
- Chris Clemons has scored in double digits 41 times in 42 career outings. He is the nation's 9th-leading scorer (22.4) - tops in the Big South - and is 17th in 3-point FG made (3.33).
- Red-shirt junior forward Shane Whitfield ranks 7th among Big South FT% leaders (.736), 13th in rebounds (5.0) and 15th in scoring (12.8).
- Sophomore center Andrew Eudy leads the Big South in blocked shots (2.17), 39th in the nation, and is shooting 59% from the floor.
- Over the last six games, senior guard Kyre' Hamer is averaging 9.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and is shooting 60 percent from the field.
- Cory Gensler was named Big South freshman of the week after hitting 8-of-8 from 3-point range in two wins and averaging 14 points and 3.5 rebounds. He set a Gore Arena record for highest 3-point FG percentage in a game when he hit all six of his attempts and scored a career-best 18 points against Johnson & Wales.
- Senior guard Darrion Allen (13.9), red-shirt junior forward Khris Lane (13.3) and red-shirt sophomore guard Isaiah Walton (13.1) lead a balance Longwood scoring attack. Lane is 3rd among Big South rebounding leaders (7.5), while Walton is 3rd in steals (1.8) and 4th in assists (3.2).
- The Lancers are coming off a 91-60 loss Dec. 21 at Texas Tech. Chris Shields led Longwood with 15 points, including 3-of-6 from 3-point range. Texas Tech finished with a 42-18 edge on the boards and had a 20-3 advantage in points off turnovers.
- Longwood has won the last four meetings with Campbell, the longest streak in the series that dates to Feb. 2007.
- Last season, Longwood defeated the Camels twice, the first time that either school has swept a two-game season series from the other. The schools split the series in 2007-08, 2010-11, 2012-13 and 2013-14. CU and Longwood met just once in the unbalanced Big South schedule last season.
- Since Longwood joined the Big South in 2012-13, the Camels have not won a home game in the series. CU is 2-2 at Farmville over the last four years, while LU is 3-0 at Gore Arena.
- Following Thursday's game, Campbell returns to action Saturday when it hosts Presbyterian in a 2:00 p.m. New Year's Eve tipoff.