BUIES CREEK, N.C. – On the heels of a tough loss, Campbell continues a two-game Big South road stretch Wednesday in a 7:00 p.m. start at Gardner-Webb.
Campbell (9-7, 2-2) saw its two-game win streak halted Saturday after a 61-54 loss at Liberty despite a 25-point effort from Chris Clemons.
Gardner-Webb (9-8, 2-2) won its second-straight contest Saturday in a 79-75 decision over Charleston Southern thanks to 21 points off the bench from David Efianayi. LaQuincy Rideau added 14 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists.
The Camels take a 2-4 road record to Paul Porter Arena, where the Bulldogs stand 5-2 this year. GWU stands 9-1 against the Camels in Boiling Springs since 2003 and has won the last six against its in-state rival at Porter Arena.
However, the last two meetings between the schools in Boiling Springs have been decided late, including a 73-65 GWU win in OT on Feb. 6, 2015 and last year's 71-68 Bulldog victory. The teams split the 2015-16 regular season series with each winning at home.
- Campbell leads all Big South teams in free throw% (.757) and is 2nd in FG% (.466).
- Chris Clemons is the nation's 5th-leading scorer (23.3) - tops in the Big South - and has tallied at least 20 points 13 times this year.
- Shane Whitfield ranks 6th among Big South FT% leaders (.768) while leading the league in free throws made (86) and attempted (112). He is 14th in scoring (13.0).
- Sophomore center Andrew Eudy leads the Big South in blocked shots (1.94) and is shooting 56 percent from the floor.
- In Big South play, senior guard Kyre' Hamer is averaging 11.8 points and is shooting 90% from the line while dealing 3.3 assists per game.
- Cory Gensler has scored in double digits in 5 of the last 8 games and is shooting 41% overall from 3-point range.
- Gardner-Webb 6th man David Efianayi is averaging 12.8 points and shooting 55.6% from the floor. He had 21 points vs. Charleston Southern.
- Chris Clemons scored 9 points in last year's 71-68 loss at Gardner-Webb, marking the only time in 46 career games he has failed to reach double figures.
- Gardner-Webb enters Wednesday's game ranked 15th in the nation in steals per game (8.8) and 27th in team field goal percentage (.487), both tops among Big South schools.
- Sophomore guard Laquincy Rideau rates 2nd in the Big South and 7th in the country with 2.82 steals per outing. He tops the league in assists (5.06).
- Since returning to the Big South Conference in 2011-12, Campbell stands 4-7 vs. Gardner-Webb, 4-4 in league regular season play.
- GWU owns a 9-1 record against the Camels at Paul Porter Arena in the Bulldogs' Division I era (since 2003).
- The road team hasn't won during the regular season of the Campbell vs. Gardner-Webb series since both teams won away from home during the 2005-06 season (when both schools were members of the Atlantic Sun Conference). GWU defeated CU in the 2013, 2015 and 2016 Big South Conference tournaments.
- Gardner-Webb won 70-62 at Nebraska on Dec. 18, marking the third Bulldog victory over a Big Ten Conference opponent since 2005.
- Campbell and Gardner-Webb have played each other on three different levels. The teams squared off twice as junior college members in the '50s, then played 3 times as NAIA members in the late '60s-early '70s.
- Seven Gardner-Webb standouts have gone on to play in the NBA, including Hall of Famer Artis Gilmore and All-Star John Drew.
- Following Wednesday's game, the Camels host Winthrop Saturday in a 12 noon tip-off that will be televised by the American Sports Network.