BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- The top two scoring teams in the Big South Conference meet Saturday in a 12 noon tip-off at Gore Arena when Campbell hosts pre-season league favorite Winthrop. The American Sports Network will televise the game on 74 outlets throughout the United States, including 10 in the Carolinas and Virginia.
Mike Hogewood and Jeff Jackson will be on the call for the game, which will air on 74 television outlets nationwide, including 10 throughout the Big South footprint in the Carolinas and Virginia.
WRDC (MyTV) and WLFL-2 (ASN) will carry the game in the Raleigh-Durham market, while it will also air in Charlotte on WCCB-3 (MeTV) and Greensboro on WXLV-2 (ASN). In South Carolina, WACH-2 (ASN) in Columbia and WWMB-3 (ASN) in Myrtle Beach will air the game. The game will also be on WTVZ-2 (ASN) in Norfolk and WSET-2 (ASN) in Roanoke, plus Cox Sports TV stations in both Virginia markets.
Campbell (10-7, 3-2) is scoring at a 76.5 clip, second among Big South members only to Winthrop (12-4, 4-1), which averages 78.8 points per outing.
Saturday's game also will feature two of the nation's leading individual scorers in Campbell's Chris Clemons, the 2016 Big South freshman of the year, and Winthrop's Keon Johnson, this year's pre-season player of the year.
A 5-foot-9 sophomore, Clemons ranks 4th in the country and tops in the league at 23.6 points per game. A 5-foot-7 senior, Johnson enters the game 17th nationally and second in the Big South with a 21.3 scoring average.
The Camels are coming off a 76-60 win Wednesday at Gardner-Webb for their 3rd win in 4 outings. Winthrop topped Presbyterian 75-52 for its 3rd-straight victory and 8th in the last 9 games.
- Campbell leads all Big South teams in free throw% (.741) and is 2nd in FG% (.468).
- In addition to scoring, Winthrop leads the Big South in 3s made per game (9.19), scoring margin (+7.9), FG% defense (.409) and blocks (5.06).
- Campbell has held 14 of its first 17 opponents below 50% shooting from the floor.
- CU enjoyed its highest-scoring first half of the season in its 76-60 win at Gardner-Webb (Jan. 11). The Camels shot 61 percent from the floor and made only 3 turnovers to take a 50-32 halftime lead. Overall, it marked the fourth time this year CU has scored at least 50 points in a half, topped by a 61-point second stanza in a 97-91 victory Dec. 4 at The Citadel.
- Chris Clemons has scored at least 20 points 13 times this year, most in the Big South, including 28 in Wednesday's win at Gardner-Webb.
- Shane Whitfield ranks 9th among Big South FT% leaders (.744) while leading the league in free throws made (93) and attempted (125). He is also 9th in scoring (13.4).
- Sophomore center Andrew Eudy leads the Big South in blocked shots (2.06) and is shooting 55 percent from the floor.
- In Big South play, senior guard Kyre' Hamer is averaging 11.2 points and is shooting 86% from the line while dealing 3.4 assists per game.
- Cory Gensler has scored in double digits in 5 of the last 9 games and pulled down a career-high 11 rebounds Wednesday at Gardner-Webb.
- Chris Clemons enters Saturday's game only 43 points shy of reaching 1,000 points. If he continues scoring at his current average (23.6), he would reach the plateau Thursday vs. High Point. Clemons is on track to become just the third sophomore in Big South Conference history to reach 1,000 points, joining John Brown of High Point (1,063) and Andrew Rowsey of UNC Asheville (1,244).
- Campbell is 6-2 in Gore Arena this season, 2-0 vs. Big South foe at home. Winthrop stands 6-2 in road games, 2-0 at league members.
- Since re-joining the league in 2011-12, Campbell owns a 5-4 record vs. the Eagles.
- Winthrop is 1-7 all-time in Buies Creek, 1-3 at Gore Arena and 0-4 in old Carter Gym.
- In a 90-83 win on Dec. 31, 2015 at Rock Hill, Campbell shot 58 percent in the second half, led by as many as 16 and ended Winthrop's 12-game home court win streak. Keon Johnson had 27 of his 32 points in the second half, but Winthrop could not overcome 34.5 percent shooting in the opening period.
Winthrop dealt the Camels an 87-71 setback on Feb. 27, 2016 at Gore Arena, hitting 14-of-28 threes in the process.
- The Eagles are off to a 12-4 start for just the second time in the program's history and the first under the direction of head coach Pat Kelsey.
- Eagle junior forward Xavier Cooks (969 points) is only 31 points shy of becoming the 16th player in Big South history to reach 1,000 career points, 500 rebounds and 100 blocked shots.
- Fourth-year Campbell head coach Kevin McGeehan and fifth-year Winthrop coach Pat Kelsey also squared off as opponents in the Atlantic 10 Conference before moving to their current positions. McGeehan was associate head coach at Richmond, where he served from 2005-13, while Kelsey was in the same position at Xavier from 2009-11.
- Following Saturday's game, the Camels continue a two-game home stand next Thursday against High Point (7:00 p.m.).