BUIES CREEK, N.C. -- Campbell travels to face defending Big South Conference champion UNC Asheville Saturday in a 4:30 p.m. tip-off that will air on ESPN3.
The Camels (10-9, 3-4) have dropped consecutive games for the first time since Nov. 19-21 following an 83-78 loss Thursday to High Point.
Chris Clemons became just the third sophomore in Big South Conference history to reach the 1,000-career point mark during his game-high 29 -point outing. Shane Whitfield added 14 points and Kyre' Hamer 13 for the Camels, who shot 53 percent from the floor.
Asheville (13-7, 5-2) saw its five-game win streak halted Thursday in a 76-73 loss at Winthrop. Ahmad Thomas led the Bulldogs with a career-high 27 points, but the Eagles held a 16-3 edge in second-chance points.
The Bulldogs stand 7-1 at home this year, 2-0 against Big South members. Campbell is 3-4 on opponents' home floors, 1-2 at Big South teams.
- Campbell leads all Big South teams in free throw% (.746) and is 2nd in scoring (75.9), FG% (.466) and 3-point FG% (.383).
- Asheville tops the league in 3-point% (.402), assists (15.2), steals (9.65), turnover margin (+5.5)and assist-turnover ratio (1.28). The Bulldogs rank 4th in the country in turnover margin and 8th in steals per game. Junior Ahmad Thomas is 6th nationally in steals (3.0). He is 3rd in the Big South in scoring (16.6).
- Sophomore G Chris Clemons has scored at least 20 points 14 times this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 3rd-leading scorer (23.5 ppg), Clemons is the 27th player in Campbell history to reach 1,000 career points.
- Shane Whitfield ranks 9th among Big South FT% leaders (.748) while leading the league in free throws made (101) and attempted (135). He is also 12th in scoring (13.3)
- In Big South play, senior guard Kyre' Hamer is averaging 12.0 points (20th in the league) and is shooting 83% from the line (9th) while dealing 3.14 assists per game (8th) with 1.29 steals (7th)
- Saturday's game marks the 41st all-time between Campbell and UNC Asheville, dating to the 1967-68 season when both were members of the NAIA. CU won 5 of the 8 meetings between the schools while the Camels were members of the Atlantic Sun Conference (1994-2011).
- Asheville is the only Big South team Campbell has not defeated (0-8) since rejoining the Big South Conference in 2011-12.
- The Bulldogs have committed fewer turnovers than their opponents in 19 of 20 games this year. In Thursday's 76-73 loss at Winthrop, Asheville had 16 turnovers to 15 for the Eagles.
- On Thursday, both Campbell and Asheville lost for the first time this year when leading at halftime. Campbell is now 8-1 overall when holding a lead at the break, while the Bulldogs are 10-1.
- Asheville stands 62-16 all-time at Kimmel Arena, 42-10 vs. Big South foes.
- UNC Asheville finished 22-12 overall a year ago, won the Big South Championship at Campbell's Gore Arena, and faced eventual national champion Villanova in the NCAA tournament.
- Freshman MaCio Teague ranks among Big South leaders in scoring (5th, 16.0), rebounding (15th, 4.8), FG% (5th, .476), FT% (4th, .853), assists (12th, 2.55), steals (8th, 1.3), 3FG made (8th, 2.05) and minutes (3rd, 34.5).
- Following Saturday's game, the Camels continue their road stretch Thursday (Jan. 26) in a 7:00 p.m. tip-off at Radford that will be televised nationally by ESPNU.