BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Coming off a 78-61 win at Radford, Campbell begins the second half the Big South schedule Saturday at 2 p.m. when the Camels host Liberty.
The Camels (11-10, 4-5) snapped a 3-game losing streak Thursday in front of a national TV audience on ESPNU. Campbell shot 57 percent from the floor and made 10-of-19 threes against the Highlanders.
Chris Clemons matched the school record for most points scored in a Big South road game with 36 on 13-of-24 shooting, including 4 treys and a pair of dunks, and added 4 steals. Shane Whitfield chipped in 16 points and 6 rebounds, while Kyre' Hamer had 15 points on 6-of-7 from the field (3-of-3 beyond the arc).
Liberty (12-10, 7-2) jumped to a 16-0 lead and tied a school record with 17 threes Thursday in a 93-62 win at Longwood. The Flames won their fifth in the last six outings and improved to 5-0 in Big South road games for the first time in the program's history. Ryan Kemrite led four Flames in double figures with 22 points, including 5-of-7 triples.
- Campbell leads all Big South teams in free throw% (.748), is 2nd in 3-point FG% (.386) and FG% (.469).
- Four of Campbell's five losses in Big South play have come by single digits, the most in the conference. CU's four league wins have all come by double figures.
- Liberty leads the conference in scoring defense (64.4) and has held its last six foes to 65, or fewer, points.
- Sophomore G Chris Clemons has scored at least 20 points 15 times this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 6th-leading scorer (23.4 ppg), Clemons is the 3rd sophomore in Big South history and 27th player in Campbell records to reach 1,000 career points (1,048). He enters Saturday's game with 492 points on the season, just eight points shy of joining Jonathan Rodriguez (2006-08) as the only players in CU history to score 500 points in both of their freshman and sophomore years.
- Shane Whitfield ranks 10th among Big South FT% leaders (.759) while leading the league in free throws made (110) and attempted (145). He is also 14th in scoring (13.0).
- In Big South play, senior guard Kyre' Hamer is averaging 11.7 points (20th in the league) and 3.1 assists (8th) with 1.3 steals (6th).
- Liberty was winless in 5 non-conference road games, but has won its first 5 Big South contests away from Lynchburg.
- Three weeks ago at Lynchburg, Lovell Cabbil scored a career-high 21 points and Liberty defeated Campbell 61-54 on Jan. 7. The Flames made 11 of 13 from the line in the final 1:35 to hold off a CU rally. Chris Clemons led the Camels with 25 points.
- Liberty wing Ryan Kemrite leads the Big South and ranks 12th nationally in 3-point FG% (.455). He is the conference's 8th-leading scorer. and is 4th in threes made per game (2.5).
- Ritchie McKay (the 2016 Big South Coach of the Year) is in the second year of his second stint as head coach of the Flames. Campbell and Liberty split a two-game series in the 2007-08 season, McKay's initial campaign in Lynchburg.
- The Flames lead the Big South Conference in scoring defense (64.4), 3-point field goals made per game (9.18) and fewest turnovers (11.1). Liberty stands 2nd in FT% (.728) and turnover margin (+2.91).
- Liberty was picked 2nd in the Big South pre-season poll, behind Winthrop and just ahead of UNC Asheville.
- Campbell and Liberty have split 4 games all-time at Gore Arena.
- The Camels continue their two-game home stand Wednesday against Gardner-Webb (7:00 p.m.).