BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell looks for its first regular season series sweep of Gardner-Webb Wednesday when the Camels host the Runnin' Bulldogs at 7 p.m.
The Camels defeated GWU 76-60 on Jan. 11 at Boiling Springs. Chris Clemons scored 28 points and the Camels never trailed at Paul Porter Arena. Shane Whitfield added 19 points for CU, which led by as many as 23 in the first half and never allowed the Bulldogs to cut the gap to single digits.
LaQuincy Rideau led GWU, which made only 35 percent of its shots, with 17 points and 7 boards.
CU's Jan. 11 victory at Boiling Springs marked the first time the road team won during the regular season of the Campbell vs. Gardner-Webb series since both teams won away from home during the 2005-06 season (when both schools were members of the Atlantic Sun Conference). The teams have split their regular season series the last six times they have squared off twice in a year.
Campbell (11-11, 4-6) is coming off a 72-40 loss Saturday to Big South co-leader Liberty. Gardner-Webb (12-11, 5-5) won 85-76 Saturday at Charleston Southern.
- Basketball handling specialist and motivational speaker Dexter Williams will appear at halftime of Wednesday's game.
- Campbell leads all Big South teams in free throw% (.750) and is 3rd in 3-point FG% (.373) and FG% (.460).
- Four of Campbell's six losses in Big South play have come by single digits, the most in the conference. GWU also has four single-digits losses in league action.
- Gardner-Webb enters Wednesday's game ranked 11th in the nation in steals per game (8.8) and 35th in team field goal percentage (.481), both tops among Big South schools. The Bulldogs are last in FT% (.595).
- Sophomore G Chris Clemons has scored at least 20 points 15 times this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 8th-leading scorer (22.9 ppg), Clemons is the 3rd sophomore in Big South history and 27th player in Campbell records to reach 1,000 career points (1,060).
- Shane Whitfield ranks 9th among Big South FT% leaders (.758) while leading the league in free throws made (113) and attempted (149). He is also 15th in scoring (12.7).
- GWU sophomore LaQuincy Rideau leads the Big South in assists (4.83) and steals (3.09), while ranking 4th in the country in thefts per game.
- Gardner-Webb is 5-6 on the road this year, 3-2 at Big South foes. Campbell stands 6-5 at Gore Arena, 2-3 at home vs. league competition.
- Gardner-Webb senior Tyrell Nelson leads the Big South in field goal shooting (.559), is 13th in scoring (13.2) and 5th in rebounding (6.9). He is one of only 8 players in league history to record 1500 career points and 800 rebounds.
- Campbell's Chris Clemons scored 9 points in last year's 71-68 loss at Gardner-Webb, marking the only time in 52 career games he has failed to reach double figures.
- Gardner-Webb has recorded three wins over Power 5 conference schools in four seasons under coach Tim Craft, including a 70-62 victory at Nebraska on Dec. 18.
- Since returning to the Big South Conference in 2011-12, Campbell stands 5-7 vs. Gardner-Webb, 5-4 in league regular season play. CU is 4-1 all-time against the Bulldogs in Gore Arena, 4-0 in the regular season.
- Following Wednesday's game, the Camels travel to Winthrop for a 2:00 p.m. tip-off Saturday.