BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell begins a stretch where it plays three road games in four outings starting with a 2 p.m. match up Saturday at Big South co-leader Winthrop.
The Camels (11-12, 4-7) are 4-5 overall on the road this year, but have won two of their last three away games in Big South play with triumphs Jan. 11 at Gardner-Webb (76-60) and Jan. 26 at Radford (78-61).
Campbell has dropped its last two games, most recently an 80-68 setback Wednesday at home to Gardner-Webb.
Winthrop (17-5, 9-2) is tied atop the Big South standings with UNC Asheville and Liberty and has won eight of its last nine outings. The only blemish was an 83-80 OT setback to High Point last Saturday in Rock Hill. The Eagles won 81-65 Wednesday at Radford.
The Eagles claimed a 72-63 victory Jan. 14 at Campbell. Keon Johnson scored 22 points, while Xavier Cooks added 13, plus nine rebounds. Chris Clemons led the Camels with 16 points and Kyre' Hamer added 15.
- Saturday's game features the top two scorers in the Big South Conference in Campbell sophomore Chris Clemons (23.0) and Winthrop senior Keon Johnson (20.7). Clemons has scored at least 20 points 16 times this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 8th-leading scorer, Clemons is the 3rd sophomore in Big South history and 27th player in Campbell records to reach 1,000 career points (1,085). Johnson stands 22nd among the country's scoring leaders.
- Campbell continues to lead all Big South teams in free throw percentage (.752) and is on pace to break the school record (.722) set in 2006-07.
- Four of Campbell's seven losses in Big South play have come by single digits.
- Winthrop enters Saturday's game leading the Big South in scoring (77.4), field goal percentage defense (.407) and blocked shots (5.2).
- Shane Whitfield ranks 10th among Big South FT% leaders (.765) while leading the league in free throws made (117) and attempted (153). He is also 15th in scoring (12.7).
- Campbell is 4-5 on the road this season, 2-3 at Big South members. Winthrop stands 7-3 at Winthrop Coliseum, 3-2 vs. the Big South at home.
- Since re-joining the league in 2011-12, Campbell and Winthrop have each won five times in 10 meetings.
- In Campbell's last trip to Rock Hill, the Camels shot 58 percent in the second half of a a 90-83 win. Keon Johnson had 27 of his 32 points in the second half, but Winthrop could not overcome 34.5 percent shooting in the opening period.
- Campbell has led at the half in six of the last nine meetings between the schools. The Camels are 9-1 this season when leading at halftime.
- Winthrop has won 18 of its last 21 home games against Big South opponents. In addition to last year's 90-83 setback against Campbell, the Eagles other two losses came this season to Radford on Dec. 31 (82-80) and last Saturday to High Point (83-80 in OT).
- Eagle junior forward Xavier Cooks (1051 points) is the 11th player in Big South history to reach 1,000 career points, 550 rebounds and 125 blocked shots.
- Following Saturday's game, the Camels host Longwood next Thursday (Feb. 9).