BUIES CREEK, N.C. – As the Big South regular season enters its final third of the schedule, Campbell hosts Longwood Thursday in a 7:00 p.m. tip-off at Gore Arena.
As part of the annual Founder's Week celebration, free Camel bobble heads will be given away at the door. The game will air live on the Big South Network as well as locally on 88.3 FM WUAW with Chris Hemeyer and Jerry Smith on the call.
The Camels (11-13, 4-8) are looking for a season split against Longwood (6-17, 3-9), which has lost 9-straight after opening league play with three-consecutive victories.
Campbell has dropped its last three games, most recently a 76-62 setback Saturday at Big South co-leader Winthrop. Chris Clemons scored 24 points and Moga Lado added 10 off the bench for the Camels.
With a roster reduced to only seven available scholarship players due to injuries and other issues, Longwood has suffered seven losses by double digits in its nine-game slide.
The Lancers withstood a late Campbell rally in a 79-77 win on Dec. 29, after Darrion Allen tipped in his own miss with 6 seconds to play for the decisive points. In a game that included 14 ties and 13 lead changes, Longwood's Khris Lane scored a career-high 30 points on 13-of-16 shooting, while Allen added 19. Clemons led the Camels with 24 points.
- Campbell sophomore Chris Clemons (23.0) has scored at least 20 points 17 times this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 7th-leading scorer, Clemons is the 3rd sophomore in Big South history and 27th player in Campbell records to reach 1,000 career points (1,109). He has moved into 22nd place on CU's all-time scoring list, 11th in the Division I era (since '77-78).
- Campbell continues to lead all Big South teams in free throw percentage (.753) and is on pace to break the school record (.722) set in 2006-07.
- Four of Campbell's eight losses in Big South play have come by single digits.
- Road teams own a 32-28 (.533) record through 60 Big South games this year. Sixty percent of league contests have been decided by single digits.
- Longwood enters Thursday's game ranked 2nd among Big South schools in blocked shots.
- Shane Whitfield ranks 8th among Big South FT% leaders (.769) while leading the league in free throws made (120) and attempted (156).
- Longwood's trio of red-shirt junior forward Khris Lane (16.7), senior guard Darrion Allen (14.0) and red-shirt sophomore guard Isaiah Walton (13.2) have combined for 43.9 points, or 66 percent of the Lancers' scoring per outing. Lane is 4th among Big South scoring and rebounding leaders (7.3), while Allen is 8th in scoring and Walton 13th, plus 6th in assists (3.26).
- Longwood has won the last five meetings with Campbell, the longest streak in the series that dates to Feb. 2007.
- Campbell's fourth-leading scorer – Marcus Burk – missed the game at Longwood on Dec. 29 due to injury. He had scored in double figures the two previous outings.
- The Lancers are 1-11 away from Willett Hall this year and have lost five-straight on the road since a 60-55 victory New Year's Eve at High Point.
- Campbell stands 6-6 at Gore Arena this year, but is 2-4 against Big South schools at home. CU has dropped its last four home contests since a 92-82 victory over Charleston Southern Jan. 4.
- The Camels are shooting 79.5 percent from the free throw line at home this year and have made 16.2 foul shots per outing at Gore Arena.
- Following Thursday's game, the Camels begin a two-game road stretch Saturday with a 4:30 p.m. tip-off at Presbyterian.