BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Coming off a win over Longwood Thursday night, the Camels make a quick turnaround to play at Presbyterian Saturday in a 4:30 p.m. start.
The Camels (12-13, 5-8) held off the Lancers Thursday thanks to balanced scoring and clutch possessions down the stretch. After leading by 11 with 10:32 remaining, the Camels saw Longwood rally to take a 71-70 lead. However, Marcus Burk answered with a three and the Camels never trailed thereafter.
Presbyterian never trailed by more than 12 in Thursday's 68-58 home loss to High Point. The Blue Hose sank 9-of-21 threes, but went to the free throw line only 5 times, were outscored 30-16 in the paint and finished with a 19-10 deficit in second-chance points. Will Adams came off the bench to lead PC with 14 points, including 4-of-8 threes, while Reggie Dillard (13) and Ruben Arroyo (12) also hit double digits.
- Campbell sophomore Chris Clemons (23.1 ppg) has scored at least 20 points 18 times this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 7th-leading scorer, Clemons is the 3rd sophomore in Big South history and 27th player in Campbell records to reach 1,000 career points (1,134). He has moved into 21st place on CU's all-time scoring list, 11th in the Division I era (since '77-78).
- Campbell continues to lead all Big South teams in free throw percentage (.755) and is on pace to break the school record (.722) set in 2006-07.
- Four of Campbell's eight losses in Big South play have come by single digits.
- Road teams own a 34-31 (.523) record through 65 Big South games this year. Campbell is 4-6 on the road this season, 2-4 at Big South schools.
- Presbyterian enters Saturday's game averaging 62.5 points overall, 58.4 in league play, last in the Big South.
- Shane Whitfield ranks 8th among Big South FT% leaders (.776) while leading the league in free throws made (128).
- Campbell's three losses in the all-time series with the Blue Hose have both come by a total of 11 points. PC claimed a 70-63 win at Gore Arena on Jan. 2, 2016.
- The Camels are 3-1 all-time at Presbyterian's Templeton Center, 3-2 at Gore Arena vs. PC.
- Presbyterian is 5-5 at home this year, 1-5 vs. Big South teams at the Templeton Center.
- PC and Campbell have split the season series over the last two years.
- In a 69-58 win on New Year's Eve at Buies Creek, Chris Clemons scored 18 points and Campbell never trailed against the Blue Hose. Kyre' Hamer added 15 points and Cory Gensler 12 for the Camels, who held the Blue Hose (4-9, 0-2) to 36 percent shooting from the field. Reggie Dillard led Presbyterian with 14 points (all in the second half) and 5 assists.
- Presbyterian's nickname "Blue Hose" refers to a fierce Scotch-Irish warrior, such as in the movie "Braveheart." Also, the Presbyterian Scotch-Irish wore blue stockings in early America. Former PC athletic director Walter Johnson also recalled: "I changed uniform colors to blue, wearing blue stockings and jerseys, and some sports writer started calling his articles the Presbyterian College teams the Blue Stockings." Years later, the word "Stocking" evolved into "the Hose," especially in newspaper headlines and the student body adopted it in the 1950s.
- Following Saturday's game, the Camels continue a two-game road stretch Wednesday (Feb. 15) at Charleston Southern.