BUIES CREEK, N.C. – With Big South Conference tournament seeding at stake, Campbell heads to High Point for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off Thursday.
The Camels (13-15, 6-10) are coming off a 66-53 setback Saturday against Big South leader UNC Asheville. Chris Clemons, the nation's 4th-leading scorer, missed the game due to injury, but the Camels stayed close by shooting 65 percent in the second half. Shane Whitfield and Marcus Burk led CU with 14 points and Cory Gensler added 11.
High Point (14-14, 8-8) has lost three in a row and four of its last five, but those setbacks have come by a total of eight points, including a pair of one-point decisions. Last Saturday, HPU lost 76-75 at Charleston Southern despite 19 points each from Andre Fox and Tarique Thompson.
Last month at Buies Creek, Fox and Anthony Lindauer led five High Point players in double figures with 16 points each and the Panthers defeated Campbell 83-78. Clemons led CU with 29 points, but High Point finished with a 35-20 edge on the boards and a 24-9 advantage in second-chance points.
- Campbell guard Chris Clemons (23.4 ppg) has scored at least 20 points 20 times in 27 games this year, most in the Big South. The nation's 4th-leading scorer, Clemons has moved into 20th place on CU's all-time scoring list (1187), 10th in the Division I era (since '77-78) and has already broken the school sophomore class scoring mark (631) previously set by Jonathan Rodriguez (631).
- Campbell continues to lead all Big South teams in free throw percentage (.746) and is on pace to break the school record (.722) set in 2006-07. Clemons is 6th (.821) and Shane Whitfield 10th (.751) among league FT% leaders.
- In Big South games, High Point leads the league in free throw% (.781), and is 2nd in rebounding (+3.7) and offensive boards (10.3).
- Shane Whitfield leads the Big South in free throws made (142) and attempted (189).
- Cory Gensler has scored in double figures in each of the last four games.
- Kyre' Hamer is 25th among Big South scoring leaders (9.4), but has missed the last 2 games - and 7 overall - due to injury.
- HPU red-shirt senior Miles Bowman Jr. ranks 2nd in the Big South in double-figure rebounding games (13), double-doubles (11) and is 5th overall on the boards (8.0). He leads the league in free throw percentage (.903) and is 11th in scoring (13.7).
- Senior Tarique Thompson hit career highs for points (19) and blocks (4) in last Saturday's loss at Charleston Southern.
- The Panthers are 7-7 at home this year, but just 2-5 in the Millis Center against Big South schools. The Camels are 5-7 on the road overall, 3-5 at Big South foes.
- High Point owns a 17-5 edge against Campbell all-time in Furniture City in the series, which dates to the mid-1950s. Since High Point joined the NCAA Division I ranks, Campbell is 0-6 at the Millis Center, 0-4 since re-joining the Big South.
- Since re-joining the Big South in 2011-12, Campbell has split the season series with High Point twice (in '11-12 and '13-14). The teams met only once in the 2015-16 regular season.
- High Point has won the last five meetings with the Camels, but four of those games were decided by 10, or fewer, points.
- Since the start of the 2012-13 season, HPU leads the Big South in league wins (58) and winning % (58-26, .697). The Panthers were the first team since Winthrop (2004-07) under Gregg Marshall to win (or share) four consecutive Big South regular season championships.
- The Camels close the regular season at home on Saturday in a 4:30 p.m. start against Radford.