BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell hosts Presbyterian Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. in a Big South Championship first round game at Gore Arena. The winner will advance to the 1:00 p.m. quarterfinal Thursday against 2nd-seeded UNC Asheville at Rock Hill, S.C.
The 7th-seeded Camels (14-16, 7-11) are coming off a 61-58 win Saturday over Radford. Chris Clemons led CU with 16 points, a career-high 9 rebounds and 4 steals, while Cory Gensler (4-of-5 threes) and Kyre' Hamer added 12 each. The Camels made only 7 turnovers.
Tenth seed Presbyterian (5-24, 1-17) has lost its last eight games, including a 93-56 decision to regular season champ Winthrop Saturday. Senior forward Ed Drew scored 13 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in his final home game.
Campbell swept the season series from the Blue Hose, claiming a 69-58 decision on New Year's Eve in Buies Creek and a 70-57 win, Feb. 11 at Clinton, S.C. The Camels held PC to 38 percent shooting in those two games and made more free throws (35-43, .814) than Presbyterian attempted (25-33, .758).
- Campbell guard Chris Clemons was named to the Big South all-conference 1st team and to the Big South all-academic team. The nation's 6th-leading scorer (23.1 ppg) has scored at least 20 points 21 times in 29 games this year, most in the Big South. He has moved into 16th place on CU's all-time scoring list (1226), 9th in the Division I era (since '77-78) and has already broken the school sophomore class scoring mark (670) previously set by Jonathan Rodriguez (631).
- Campbell and Presbyterian have met once in Big South tournament play, an 81-73 Camel win in overtime on Mar. 5, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
- The Camels stand 2nd among Big South schools in free throw percentage (.742), just behind High Point (.743).
- Shane Whitfield leads the Big South in free throws made (152) and attempted (203).
- Cory Gensler has scored in double figures in five of the last six games.
- Kyre' Hamer who is 26th among Big South scoring leaders (9.2), averaged 15 points and shot 59% in 2 games vs. Presbyterian this year.
- After splitting the season series with PC the last two years, Campbell swept 2 games from the Blue Hose, both by double digits.
- Campbell leads the all-time series 8-3, but its three losses to the Blue Hose have both come by a total of 11 points.
- The Camels are 3-2 all-time vs. Presbyterian at Gore Arena, 4-1 at PC's Templeton Center.
- Presbyterian is 0-16 on the road this year, but only lost by two (59-57) last Thursday at Radford.
- In a 69-58 win on New Year's Eve at Buies Creek, Chris Clemons scored 18 points and Campbell never trailed against the Blue Hose. Kyre' Hamer added 15 points and Cory Gensler 12 for the Camels, who held the Blue Hose (4-9, 0-2) to 36 percent shooting from the field. Reggie Dillard led Presbyterian with 14 points (all in the second half) and 5 assists.
- On Feb. 11 at Clinton, S.C., Chris Clemons scored 23 points to lead four Camels in double figures and Campbell defeated Presbyterian 70-57. CU never trailed and knocked down 11 three-pointers while holding the Blue Hose to 39 percent shooting. Kyre' Hamer added 15 points, 13 in the second half, while Cory Gensler and Shane Whitfield chipped in 11 apiece.