BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell will host Southern Conference regular season co-champ Furman Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in the quarterfinal round of the CollegeInsider.com post-season tournament. The winner will advance to Wednesday's CIT semifinal that will air on CBS Sports Network.
The Camels (19-17) reached the quarters thanks to a 73-56 win Monday over UT Martin. Chris Clemons scored 26 points, Marcus Burk added 15, while Cory Gensler chipped in 10 for the Camels, who made 13 three-pointers and won their sixth in the last seven games. Campbell opened up a double-figure lead Southland Conference regular season runner-up. Andrew Eudy blocked a career-high six shots.
Furman (22-11) won 79-56 on Mar. 16 at USC Upstate in the CIT first round; then received a bye into the quarterfinals. John Davis III scored 16 points and dealt a career-high 8 assists, while Kris Acox added 13 points and 12 rebounds for the Paladins, who made 11 three-pointers and held Upstate to 37 percent shooting.
- Campbell guard Chris Clemons was named to the Big South all-conference 1st team and to the Big South all-academic team as well as the NABC All-District 3 team. The nation's 3rd-leading scorer (25.0 ppg) has scored at least 20 points 27 times in 35 games this year, most in the Big South. He has moved into 14th place on CU's all-time scoring list (1431, 7th in the Division I era (since '77-78) and has broken the school season scoring mark (875) previously set by 1987 Big South player of the year Clarence Grier (739).
- Andrew Eudy leads the Big South Conference with 1.9 blocks per game and has 10 total blocks in two CIT outings.
- Marcus Burk scored a career-high 27 points (7-13 threes) in CU's 98-79 CIT opening round win over Houston Baptist.
- The Camels lead the Big South (and rank 34th in the nation) in free throw percentage (.753) and are on pace to break the school record (.722).
- Furman ranks 14th in the country in 3-point FG defense (.307) and stands 30th in 3-pointers made (9.2) per game.
- Furman junior guard Devin Sibley was named SoCon player of the year. He averages 17.6 points and 2.4 assists while shooting 44.5 percent (73-164) from 3-point range.
- In four seasons under the direction of head coach Kevin McGeehan, Campbell owns a 7-2 record against Southern Conference opponents. CU is 2-1 vs. SoCon members this year. The Camels dropped a 66-53 decision Nov. 21 to Samford, but won 67-53 five days later at VMI. CU also won 97-91 at The Citadel on Dec. 4.
- Campbell has lost its five previous games against Furman, but the teams have not played since Nov. 28, 2005 when the Paladins captured a 79-78 OT victory in Carter Gym.
- Furman is 11-7 in road games this year and won 6 of 9 SoCon contests away from home. Campbell stands 11-7 at home and has won 5 of its last 6 at Gore Arena.
- Big South Conference schools own a 13-8 record all-time in the CollegeInsider.com tournament. Former members VMI (2014) and Coastal Carolina (2016) advanced to the CIT semifinals.
- Furman went 2-3 against Big South members during the regular season with December wins at Liberty (61-58) and Gardner-Webb (68-65). The Paladins opened the season with a 73-71 loss at Presbyterian and also lost in OT at Winthrop (58-57). Furman fell to UNC Asheville 64-58 on Dec. 22 in Greenville.
2017 CollegeInsider.com Post-Season Tournament
(all times Eastern)
Monday, March 13
Liberty 73, Norfolk State 64
Tuesday, March 14
Saint Francis (Pa.) 78, Jacksonville 76
Campbell 98, Houston Baptist 79
Samford 78, Canisius 74
Wednesday, March 15
Fort Wayne 88, Ball State 80
UMBC 88, Fairfield 83
Texas A&M Corpus Christi 80, Georgia St. 64
Idaho 73, Stephen F. Austin 50
Thursday, March 16
Saint Peter's 59, Albany 55
Furman 79, USC Upstate 57
UT Martin 89, UNC Asheville 75
Texas State 70, Lamar 60
Weber State 80, Cal State Fullerton 76
Saturday, March 18
UMBC 87, St. Francis (Pa.) 79
Monday, March 20
Campbell 73, UT Martin 56
Liberty 66, Samford 58
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 82, Weber State 73
Wednesday, March 22
Texas State 64, Idaho 55
Saturday, March 25
Furman (22-11) at Campbell (19-17) (2:00)
St. Peter's (20-13) at Texas State (22-13) (5:00)
Sunday, March 26
Liberty (21-13) at UMBC (20-12) (2:00)
Fort Wayne (20-12) at TAMU-CC (22-11) (3:00)
Wednesday, March 29 | CBS Sports Network (7:00 & 9:00)
Friday, March 31 | CBS Sports Network (9:00)