Short-handed Camels draw with UNCG 2-2

Ricki Gaez (Courtesy of Bennett Scarborough)
Ricki Gaez (Courtesy of Bennett Scarborough)

BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Playing a man down for the final 25 minutes, Campbell earned a 2-2 draw with UNC Greensboro Saturday night at the Eakes Athletic Complex.


The Camels (1-6-2) took a two-goal lead, only to concede a pair to UNCG (5-5-1) within a 6-minute stretch late in the second half.  Campbell, however, earned a point despite the fact that senior back Eduardo Rodriguez saw his second yellow card of the match with 4:53 left in the second period.


Ricki Gaez put the Camels in front in the 14th minute; then Jhuvon Francis' low driven cross was deflected into the UNCG net in the 20th.  Campbell nearly added another in the 69th minute when Justin Franz' dipping right-footed shot from outside the area banged off the cross bar.


However, Austin Miller set up Rouven Wahlfeldt in the 73rd; then scored the equalizer in the 79th.  Miller nearly added a winner with 2:30 left in the second half when he broke free in the Camel end, but his shot from the left side of the box missed inches wide of the right post.


Campbell and UNCG drew for the second-straight time, following a 1-1 deadlock in 2010 at Greensboro.


After being out-shot 7-4 in the opening period, Greensboro finished with a 17-12 advantage in shots, 13-5 after half-time.


Campbell jumped in front when Bryce Miller re-directed a pass down the left flank to Reafe Anderson, who dribbled into the UNCG third and found Isaiah Page.  Page then squared the ball across the box to Gaez, who poked in a right-footed shot for his second goal of the year.


About six minutes later Francis beat his defender down the right flank and sent a low pass across the face of the goal that Greensboro defender Hugo Coicaud accidentally deflected into his own net.


Half-way through the first period Dustin Gamradt got behind the Camel back line, but keeper Ethan Hall left his feet to tip the ball over his bar.


Two minutes into the second half UNCG's Brian Graham bent a free kick over the wall, forcing Hall to parry it over the bar for a corner.  In the 49th minute, Franz played a low ball into the area, but Griffin kept the CU lead at two with a reaction save on Francis' point-blank shot.


A pair of counter attacks produced both UNC Greensboro goals.  Wahlfeldt played the ball to Miller near the top of the area, then scored off the return pass into the lower left corner of the Camel net.  The equalizing strike came when Fields crossed from the right flank and Wahlfeldt touched the ball on to Miller at the top left corner of the box.  He then curled a right-footed shot into the far side of the net for his first goal of the season.


Campbell opens Big South Conference play Tuesday at Winthrop (7:00 p.m.).