Men’s Tennis Upsets #75 DePaul 4-3
Wilmington, N.C. – Campbell won three singles matches and captured the doubles point en route to a 4-3 victory over #75 DePaul Wednesday afternoon. Fernando Guillen improved to 9-3 in singles play for the Camels (5-6, 1-2).
Campbell jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead by capturing the doubles point. Adrien Rossignon and Josep Baro defeated Mathias Hambach and Sven Kasper in the one spot (8-4).Guillen and Clavera won their sixth match of the season after knocking off George Chanuria and Josh Dancu 8-6 in the two spot.
In singles play, Guillen defeated Kasper in the one position (7-5, 6-4). The San Louis Potici, Mexico native is 9-3 this season.
Freshman Steven Billington returned from an ankle injury to knock off Josh Dancu in the six position (6-2, 6-3). August Iwdal clinched the match for the Camels by defeating Adam Reinhart in the five spot (7-5, 4-6, 6-4). Both Iwdal and Billington are 2-4 in singles play this season.
Campbell's victory was the first win over a nationally ranked opponent since defeating #61 North Florida last season. The Camels are 1-1 against ranked opponents this season.
Campbell returns to Big South Conference play Friday afternoon as it takes on Liberty at the Nisbet Tennis Center. Match time is set for 2:00 pm.
DePaul vs Campbell Men
Mar 21, 2012 at Wilmington, N.C.
Campbell Men 4, #75 DePaul 3
1. CHANTURIA, George (DUM) def. ROSSIGNON, Adrien (CAMM) 7-5, 6-3
2. GUILLEN, Fernando (CAMM) def. KASPER, Sven (DUM) 7-5, 6-4
3. PALINIC, Matija (DUM) def. CLAVERA, David (CAMM) 6-2, 6-4
4. HAMBACH, Mathias (DUM) def. BARO, Josep (CAMM) 6-2, 6-2
5. AUGUST, Iwdal (CAMM) def. REINHART, Adam (DUM) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
6. BILLINGTON, Steven (CAMM) def. DANCU, Josh (DUM) 6-2, 6-3
1. ROSSIGNON, Adrien/BARO, Josep (CAMM) def. HAMBACH, Mathias/KASPER, Sven (DUM) 8-4
2. GUILLEN, Fernando/CLAVERA, David (CAMM) def. CHANTURIA, George/DANCU, Josh (DUM) 8-6
3. PALINIC, Matija/REINHART, Adam (DUM) def. AUGUST, Iwdal/KRALIK, Ondrej (CAMM) 8-6
DePaul (10-9); National ranking #75
Campbell Men 6-7 (1-2)