Men’s Tennis Sweeps Gardner-Webb, 7-0
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. – Campbell extended its winning streak to five games with a 7-0 victory at Garnder-Webb on Tuesday afternoon at the Webb Tennis Complex.
The Camels improved to 8-4 overall and 3-0 in the Big South, while Garnder-Webb dropped to 7-5 and 1-2 in the league.
The doubles competition was tight as the point was decided at No. 3 when sophomore Steven Billington (Conway, Wales, U.K.) and senior Ondrej Kralik (Herlev, Denmark) recorded a 9-7 win. An 8-6 victory was notched by junior Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexio) at No. 1, while the Bulldogs' Nikita Zverkov and Ernest Alberch took the match at No. 2, 8-5.
Campbell took the momentum into singles play as sophomore Adrien Rossignon (Arlon, Belgium) at No. 2 scored a 6-3, 6-0 victory before senior Josep Baro (Barcelona, Spain) put the Camels up, 3-0, with a straight-set win at No. 5, 6-1, 6-3. Clinching the match at No. 4 was senior David Clavera (Barcelona, Spain) with a 6-4, 6-4 triumph.
A second set tiebreaker was needed at No. 3 as Billington notched an 8-6 win to secure the fifth point for Campbell.
After dropping the first set, No. 80 in the ITA rankings Guillen rebounded to take the next two frames, 7-5, 6-1. Freshman Rik Van Gerwen (Valkenswaard, Netherlands) came back with a 7-5 victory in the second to force a third-set super tiebreaker, which he won, 10-7.
Campbell returns to the courts on Saturday with a 1:30 p.m. match at Longwood.
Tennis Match Results
Campbell vs Gardner-Webb University
3/19/2013 at Boiling Springs, N.C.
(Webb Tennis Complex)
Campbell 7, Gardner-Webb University 0
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Adam Knutsson (GWU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) def. Roman Piftor (GWU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Steven Billington (CAM) def. Benjamin Kaszas (GWU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. Ernest Alberch (GWU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. Matt Parker (GWU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. Brendan Dempsey (GWU) 2-6, 7-5, 10-7
1. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) def. Benjamin Kaszas/Matt Parker (GWU) 8-6
2. Nikita Zverkov/Ernest Alberch (GWU) def. David Clavera/Josep Baro (CAM) 8-5
3. Steven Billington/Ondrej Kralik (CAM) def. Joao Poli/Adam Knutsson (GWU) 9-7
Campbell 8-4, 3-0 Big South
Gardner-Webb University 7-5, 1-2 Big South