CONWAY, S.C. – Campbell snapped its five-match win streak on Tuesday afternoon with a 4-3 loss at Coastal Carolina. Senior David Clavera (Barcelona, Spain), junior Fernando Guillen (San Louis Potosi, Mexico) and freshman Rik Van Gerwen scored the three points for the Camels with singles victories.
In a matchup of unbeaten Big South teams, Coastal Carolina improved to 9-5 overall and 4-1 in the league, while Campbell dropped to 9-5 on the year and 4-1 in conference matches.
The Chanticleers swept the doubles competition with the biggest fight coming from Guillen and sophomore Adrien Rossignon (Arlon, Belgium) at No. 1 in a 9-7 loss.
Coastal Carolina notched two straight-set victories at No. 2 by Yusuke Kusuda and Garik Yedigarian at No. 3 to take an early 3-0 advantage.
Clinching the first point for Campbell was Van Gerwen at No.6 with a 6-1 first set win and a 7-4 triumph in the second-set tiebreaker. The Chanticleers clinched the match, 4-1, at No. 3 with a 7-5, 6-3 victory.
The Camels continued to battle as Clavera came back to send the match to a super tiebreaker with a 7-6 win in the second frame. The Barcelona, Spain, native notched a 10-4 win in the tiebreaker.
In the first slot, ITA-ranked No. 80 Guillen fought back after dropping the first frame, 6-3, to post consecutive, 6-4, 6-2, victories and extend his personal win streak to seven matches.
Campbell is back home at the James Nisbet Tennis Center on Friday against UNC Ashville. The first serve of the contest begins at 10 a.m. with the women's contest following at approximately 1:30 p.m.
Mar 26, 2013 at Conway, S.C.
(Billy Nichols Tennis Center)
1. #80 Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Leo Christofides (CCU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Yusuke Kusuda (CCU) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 6-3, 6-2
3. Garik Yedigarian (CCU) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 6-4, 6-2
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. Matias Di Pasquale (CCU) 6-3, 7-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Ted Nilsson (CCU) def. Josep Baro (CAM) 7-5, 6-3
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. Hunter Whalen (CCU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Matias Di Pasquale/Garik Yedigarian (CCU) def. Fernando Guillen/Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 9-7
2. John Karle/Leo Christofides (CCU) def. David Clavera/Josep Baro (CAM) 8-3
3. Ted Nilsson/Yusuke Kusuda (CCU) def. Steven Billington/Ondrej Kralik (CAM) 8-4
Campbell 9-5, 4-1
Coastal Carolina 8-5, 5-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,5,6,1,4)