Softball Welcomes Charleston Southern for Weekend Series
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Campbell hosts Charleston Southern beginning on Friday at 4 p.m. at Amanda Littlejohn Stadium. The finale of the series at noon on Saturday will conclude a stretch with 22 of 28 games at home.
Fans that are away from Buies Creek can follow live stats and listen to free audio through the Big South Sports Network. Links are available on the schedule page. In-game updates can be accessed by following @GoCamelsSB on Twitter.
The Camels will begin a 10-game road trip on Tuesday at Winthrop with a doubleheader at 4 p.m. The next home contest is set for May 4 at 2 p.m. against Longwood in a game that will be broadcasted on ESPN3.
Campbell Camels (26-15, 10-3) vs. Charleston Southern Bucs (9-33, 2-12)
Apr. 12-13, 2013 • Buies Creek, N.C. • Amanda Littlejohn Stadium
Scouting Report: Charleston Southern comes into the series with a 9-33 overall and 2-12 Big South record with two league wins against Liberty, 6-4, 11-0. The Bucs have topped George Mason (6-4), Wagner (9-1), UNC Wilmington (5-4), Bethune-Cookman (9-6), College of Charleston (6-4) and Canisius (13-0) during the non-conference schedule. Marci Christian paces the offense with a .352 avg., 11 homers and 28 RBI. A .321 avg., has been tallied by Stephan Sbardella with eight round trippers and 25 RBI. CSU has compiled a team batting avg. of .236, while posting a .393 slugging and .323 on-base pct. The ace of the pitching staff is Jennifer Giles (5-23) with 101 strikeouts in 182.0 innings of work. Linzy Rother (3-9) has logged 59.1 frames with 28 strikeouts for the Bucs. Head Coach Shane Winckler is in his fifth season at the helm of the Charleston Southern Program.
Series History: Campbell owns a 43-29 record in the all-time series against Charleston Southern including a 13-game win streak from 1993-2000. The Camels are 21-13 in Buies Creek, while CSU has posted a 13-18-1 mark on its home field. A slight 4-3 advantage has been notched by the Camels in neutral site matchup. The lone tie in the series was 2-2 on Feb. 16, 2010.
- Campbell opened a five-game homestand on April 10 against N.C. State with the program's annual "Strikeout Cancer Day." A record crowd of 405 attend the doubleheader that saw the Camels fall 8-0 and 7-5.
- After the Wolfpack jumped out to a 7-1 lead in game two, Campbell began a comeback with a solo shot by Brittany Bruce in the fourth. The sophomore brought the Camels within two runs, 7-5, on a two-run homer in the sixth. Maggie Christopher singled in the seventh before N.C. State clinched the victory
- The Camels are 18-5 at home this year. The team has posted a 30-11 record since opening the facility on March 16, 2012.
- In the last league series, Campbell took 2-of-3 contests at Presbyterian with a 5-4 game-one win and 9-4 series-clinching victory in the finale. Campbell took over first place in the Big South standings with a 10-3 mark, a half-game ahead of Coastal Carolina 10-4.
- Junior first baseman Raven Lee paces the team with 13 home runs and 47 RBI, ranking second in the Big South in each of those categories.
- Freshman Courtney Roberts, a Big South Pitcher of the Week on April 1, continued her strong performance with a 3-0 mark last week. In her last six starts, the Simpsonville, S.C., native is 5-1 with a 3.23 ERA including 39 strikeouts in 34.2 innings of work.
- The freshman battery of Roberts (P) and Courtney Klingler (C) became the first two rookies to earned Big South weekly honors this year. Four more Camels have also picked up weekly awards from the league - Raven Lee (1B), Stephanie Jones (OF), Brittany Arrn (P), Julia Callicutt (P).
- Campbell concludes its home schedule on May 4-5 with Longwood coming to Amanda Littlejohn Stadium. The first game of the series will be broadcasted nationally on ESPN3.
GoCamels.com Softball Coverage
- The official website of Campbell athletics has up-to-date student-athlete bios, schedules, notes and statistics.
- Be sure to follow @GoCamelsSB on Twitter for in-game updates along with news and information about the program
- Live stats are available for each game the Camels play.
- For many contest home and away, a free audio broadcast can be found to supplement live stats.
- Be sure to check GoCamels.com for recaps, notes and video interviews with head coach Drew Peterson and student-athletes following each game.
- Check out the Campbell Softball team's Facebook page at Facebook.com/GoCamelsSB.
Campbell vs. Charleston Southern
- In eight starts, Sarah Forgacs has posted a .292 avg. with seven hits and one RBI, while swiping four bases.
- A .429 avg., was posted by Stephanie Jones last year, going 3-for-7.
- Kerstine Womack and Ericka Nesbitt each tallied two hits for the Camels.
- Olivia Scarborough is 1-1 against the Bucs with 13 strikeouts in 16.0 innings of work, allowing just five earned runs
- Julia Callicutt fell in her lone contest against CSU with four strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work without giving up an earned run.
- Brittany Arnn is 0-2 in two starts against the Bucs with eight strikeouts in 6.1 innings, giving up 11 earned runs.
CSU against Campbell
- Jessica Brock tallied two hits, one double and two RBI last season.
- Picking up eight career hits against Campbell including three doubles and three homers leading to eight RBI is Jana Mattews.
- In the circle, Jennifer Giles went 2-0 last season with seven strikeouts in 7.1 innings without allowing a run.
Camels Impressive at Home
- Campbell is 18-5 this year at home and an amazing 30-11 all time at Amanda Littlejohn Stadium.
- A new single-game attendance mark of 405 fans was set against North Carolina State (4/10), surpassing the previous high of 390 against North Carolina (3/27).
- The Camels have posted a .315 avg. and .547 slugging and .399 on-base pct. leading to 5.6 runs on 7.7 hits per game.
- Bruce leads the way with a .407 avg. followed by Klingler, who has seven home runs and .875 slugging pct. at .375.
- 34 of the 47 runs that Lee has driven in has come at ALJS including nine of her 12 homers for a .860 slugging pct.
- The pitching staff has been superb in allowing just 2.18 ERA with 131 strikeouts in 148.0 innings.
- Arnn (3-3) has a team-low 1.27 ERA, while Callicutt (5-0) is right behind at 1.72 ERA.
- Roberts is an impressive 9-2 with 61 strikeouts in 64.1 innings of work. Two losses against UNC and NC State.
Camels With A Lead
- Campbell is a perfect 17-0 when it holds a lead after five innings.
- The Camels are also 21-2 when gaining an advantage in the fourth.
- A mark of 17-0 has also been posted when the team has generated six or more runs of offense.
- The most deadly innings for opponents facing the Campbell lineup is the first (55 runs scored) and fifth (51 runs scored).
Remembering Amanda Littlejohn
- Campbell celebrated its "Strikeout Cancer Day" against N.C. State.
- There is special meaning for the Camels as former-player No. 42 Amanda Littlejohn lost her battle with cancer on Sept. 1, 2011.
- She fought the cancer for four years after being diagnosed with Melanoma in the summer of 2007.
- Littlejohn was a standout player for the Camels from 2007-08, compiling a .296 avg., 131 hits, 27 doubles, 18 homers and 96 RBI.
- She played the 2008 season, fighting the disease and tallied a historic campaign wiht .367 avg., 84 hits, 15 homers, 72 RBI.
- Littlejohn blasted a 3-run homer that helped Campbell top North Carolina at the NCAA Regionals in 2009.
On The Road Again
- The Camels face a 10-game road trip at the end of April.
- Campbell has played in just nine true-road contests, going 4-5 with losses to Georgia, Hawaii and Coastal Carolina.
- The team has compiled a .205 batting and .301 slugging and .287 on-base pct.
- Nesbitt leads the team with .455 avg. and 10 hits.
- Jones has tallied a .400 avg., 3 doubles and 6 RBI.
- Lee (2), Klingler and Bruce have each tallied a round-tripper.
- The offense has averaged 3.8 runs on 6.2 hits per game.
- In the circle, a 4.60 ERA has been tallied with 46 strikeouts in 56.1 innings.
- Roberts (3.00 ERA) paces the team with a 3-0 mark followed by Scarborough (4.67 ERA) at 1-0.
- Arnn is 0-4 with a 5.06 ERA along with 17 strikeouts in 18 innings of work.
- Campbell has recorded a .942 fielding pct. during contests on the road, while opponents are .967.