Softball Heads to Radford for Rain-Altered Series
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Inclement weather forecasted for the Radford, Va., area on Friday has altered the series for Campbell. The Camels and Highlanders will play a doubleheader on Saturday at 2 p.m. before the finale of the series set for 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Fans that are unable to make the trip can follow all the action from the RU Softball Field with live stats and free audio for each game of the series. Links can be found on the schedule page of GoCamels.com, while in-game updates can be obtained by following @GoCamelsSB on Twitter.
A pair of mid-week matchups are next on the docket for Campbell with doubleheaders at UNC Wilmington on Tuesday and at Hampton on Thursday.
Campbell (30-16, 14-4) at Radford (16-25, 9-6)
Apr. 20-21, 2013 • Radford, Va. • RU Softball Field
Scouting Report: Radford enters the series with a 9-6 league and 16-23 overall mark, including conference wins over Liberty (6-3, 12-4), Charleston Southern (12-4, 8-1, 7-1), Coastal Carolina (4-1, 4-2), and Presbyterian (11-1, 6-1). Non-conference wins have come against Wagner (8-1), Indiana State (3-2), Maryland (4-3), Quinnipiac (8-2), LIU-Brooklyn (11-0), Cornell (7-5) and Rhode Island (5-2). Becky Mantel leads the offense with a .319 avg. tallying six doubles and 22 walks. The key run producer has been Jessie Hutchens with 12 doubles and eight homers leading to 31 RBI. The Highlanders have posted a .264 avg. and .407 on-base and .343 slugging pct. In the circle, Rachel Walters (12-7) has compiled a 3.04 ERA with 66 strikeouts in 115.0 innings of work. Tossing 103.1 frames with 30 strikeouts is Jackie Walters, who has posted a 5.08 ERA and 3-17 record. Head Coach Maggie Johnson is in her first season guiding the Radford program.
Series History: Campbell leads the all-time series, 19-9, but the teams have split the last 18 meetings. Radford took the lone series last year, 2-1, with 10-2 (6) and 3-0 triumphs after the Camels took game one, 8-4. At home, the Camels are 10-4, while the series is evened up 4-4 in Radford, Va. Neutral site matchup favor Campbell, 5-1, but Radford did notch a 9-5 win in the 2009 NCAA Regional in Chapel Hill, N.C.
- The second leg of a 10-game road trip has Campbell facing Radford in a 4 p.m. doubleheader on Friday. The teams meet for the finale of the series on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Last time out, Campbell clinched a series sweep against Winthrop with a pair of shutouts in Rock Hill, S.C., during the mid-week series.
- Freshman Courtney Roberts registered a two-hit shutout with six strikeouts in game one, while junior Julia Callicutt was equally as impressive with a complete-game four hitter without giving up a run and fanning five.
- The Camels struck quickly with three runs on six hits in the first inning of game one.
- Sophomore 3B Brittany Bruce went 7-for-13 with nine RBI, a double, triple and two homers for the Camels last week in being named College Sports Madness Big South Player of the Week on April 15.
- The freshman battery of Courtney Roberts (P) and Courtney Klingler (C) became the first two rookies to earned Big South weekly honors this year. Five more Camels have also picked up weekly awards from the league - Brittany Bruce (3B), Raven Lee (1B), Stephanie Jones (OF), Brittany Arrn (P), Julia Callicutt (P).
- Junior first baseman Raven Lee paces the team with 14 home runs and 49 RBI.
- Klingler has had a strong rookie campaign with a .336 avg., 8 doubles, 2 triples, 10 homers and 36 RBI. She has also caught 11 base runners stealing, while picking off three more.
- Sophomores 2B Maggie Christopher and LF Camise Patterson have been key contributors for the Camels over the past seven games.
- The Camels play two midweek doubleheaders at UNC Wilmington (4/23) and Hampton (4/25).
- Campbell concludes its home schedule on May 4-5 with Longwood coming to Amanda Littlejohn Stadium. The first game of the series will be broadcasted nationally on ESPN3.
GoCamels.com Softball Coverage
- The official website of Campbell athletics has up-to-date student-athlete bios, schedules, notes and statistics.
- Be sure to follow @GoCamelsSB on Twitter for in-game updates along with news and information about the program
- Live stats are available for each game the Camels play.
- For many contest home and away, a free audio broadcast can be found to supplement live stats.
- Be sure to check GoCamels.com for recaps, notes and video interviews with head coach Drew Peterson and student-athletes following each game.
- Check out the Campbell Softball team's Facebook page at Facebook.com/GoCamelsSB.
Campbell vs. Radford
- Lee (.375) paced the team with two homers and six RBI last season against Radford.
- Jones (.333) picked up three hits and a round tripper.
- Campbell was limited to a .194 avg. and .388 slugging and .250 on-base pct.
- Scarborough (0-1) fanned nine hitters in 10.1 innings of work in compiling a 2.03 ERA.
- Arnn is 1-0 with two strikeouts in 2.2 innings of relief and two strikeouts, allowing just one run (homer).
- Callicutt (0-1) tossed 3.1 frames and struckout three, but did not give up an earned run.
- Campbell registered a 1.40 ERA with 17 punch outs in 20 IP.
Radford against Campbell
- Morgan Eye (.400), Michelle Beall (.333) and Ryndee Ruch (.333) paced the Highlanders in the series last season.
- Eye, M. Beall and Nichole Beall hit homers, while M. Beall drove home a team-best five runs.
- Radford tallied a .215 avg., and .405 slugging and .303 on-base pct.
- Jackie Jenknis (2-0) fanned three in 13 frames, while allowing just one earned run.
- Micalah Sacre (0-1) strtikeout six in 4.1 innings, but yielded four earned runs.
- The Highlanders had a 2.95 ERA with 10 strikeouts in 10.0 IP.
On The Road
- The Camels began a 10-game road trip at the end of April with a pair of shutouts at Winthrop.
- Campbell has played in just 11 true-road contests, going 6-5 with losses to Georgia, Hawaii, Coastal Carolina (2) and PC.
- The team has compiled a .254 batting and .369 slugging and .322 on-base pct.
- Nesbitt leads the team with .533 avg. and 16 hits.
- Jones has tallied a .375 avg., 3 doubles and 6 RBI.
- Lee (2), Klingler, Patterson (2) and Bruce have each tallied a round-tripper.
- The offense has averaged 3.8 runs on 6.8 hits per game.
- In the circle, a 3.68 ERA has been tallied with 57 strikeouts in 70.1 innings.
- Roberts (2.25 ERA) paces the team with a 4-0 mark followed by Scarborough (4.67 ERA) at 1-0.
- Callicutt is 1-1 with a 4.27 ERA and has fanned 18 battersin 21.1 innings.
- Arnn is 0-4 with a 5.06 ERA along with 17 strikeouts in 18 innings of work.
- Campbell has recorded a .953 fielding pct. during contests on the road, while opponents are .969.
Camels With A Lead
- Campbell is a perfect 20-0 when it holds a lead after five innings.
- The Camels are also 23-2 when gaining an advantage in the fourth.
- A mark of 20-0 has also been posted when the team has generated six or more runs of offense.
- The most deadly innings for opponents facing the Campbell lineup is the first (58 runs scored) and fifth (62 runs scored).
Camels Impressive at Home
- Campbell is 20-6 this year at home and 32-12 all time at Amanda Littlejohn Stadium.
- A new single-game attendance mark of 405 fans was set against North Carolina State (4/10), surpassing the previous high of 390 against North Carolina (3/27).
- The Camels have posted a .321 avg. and .562 slugging and .409 on-base pct. leading to 5.9 runs on 7.9 hits per game.
- Bruce leads the way with a .429 avg. followed by Klingler, who has eight home runs and .892 slugging pct. at .3875.
- 35 of the 48 runs that Lee has driven in has come at ALJS including 10 of her 14 homers for a .846 slugging pct.
- The pitching staff has allowed a 2.46 ERA with 151 strikeouts in 168.0 innings.
- Arnn (3-3) has a team-low 1.74 ERA, while Callicutt (6-0) is right behind at 1.96 ERA.
- Roberts is an impressive 10-3 with 73 strikeouts in 75.2 innings of work. Two losses were against UNC and NC State.
- After taking game one at home, 3-1, Roberts and Callicutt combined for a pair of shutouts at Winthrop to clinch the series sweep.
- Sarah Forgacs connected on a three-run homer in the fourth to aid Campbell to a 3-1 win in game one.
- Roberts notched the victory, fanning nine Winthrop batters in the complete-game three hitter to move to 12-4.
- Sutton Watson (11-9) was credited with the defeat and registered four strikeouts.
- Kelsey Ritter blasted a solo shot with two outs in the seventh to breakup the shutout opportunity for Roberts.
- Campbell jumped on the Eagles early with three runs on six hits in the second game of the series.
- Patterson blasted her third homer of the season to give the Camels a 4-0 advantage in the fourth.
- Roberts notched her second win vs. Winthrop, allowing just two hits and fanning six.
- The finale saw the Camels plate two unearned runs in the third as Callicutt registrered a four hit shutout.
- Schoenfeldt fell in game one with eight strikeouts, while Watson dropped game two, fanning seven.
Charleston Southern Series
- Charleston Southern scored first in each game, but Campbell scored 21 runs in the fifth, six and seventh innings to tally a pair of come-from-behind wins to win the series.
- The score went back and forth in game one as Campbell cut the deficit to one on a HR by Lee, B6. A 2-run homer by Jana Matthews put the guests up 5-2.
- With no outs, Jones hit a round tripper that put the Camels down 5-4. Campbell had two runners on base when the final out was recorded.
- CSU carried a 4-2 lead into the B5 before Campbell scored eight times on six hits and two errors to blow the game wide open, all with two out. Klingler started the rally with a solo shot to left.
- Patterson capped the scoring with a walk-off HR in the B6
- The Bucs built a 4-0 lead, going to the B5 in the finale, but Campbell again rallied, scoring three runs on a solo HR by Scarborough and a 2-RBI double by Bruce.
- The Camels added five more runs in the B6 on six hits as five-consecutive hits started the frame to secure the 8-5 win.
- Roberts notched the complete-game victory in the finale with nine strikeouts. Callicutt earned the game two win in relief for Campbell.
- Jennifer Giles tossed a complete-game seven hitter in the first contest to post her sixth win of the campaign.