BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell softball hits the road for the first time in the 2017 season as it travels to South Carolina for the USC Upstate/Furman Classic, Feb. 17-19.
The Camels will have contests against Iona, USC Upstate, Furman, and Towson. This weekend's games will be held at two different sites, one at USC Upstate in Spartanburg and the other at Furman in Greenville.
Friday, Feb. 17, Campbell will have a pair of games in Spartanburg at USC Upstate's Cyrill Softball Stadium. At noon Campbell is set to take on Iona. In the second game of the day, CU will take on USC Upsate at 2 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 18, Campbell will play its two games in Greenville at the Pepsi Softball Stadium on Furman's campus. The Camels begin the day against Iona at 11 a.m., followed by a 1 p.m. game versus Furman.
The fifth game of the tournament will be Feb. 19 at 11 a.m. in Greenville, as Campbell takes on Towson.
Campbell Fighting Camels (3-2)
· Rachel McCollum leads Campbell with a .467 batting average. She is one of three with a .400-plus batting average. McCollum has seven hits and three home runs on the season.
· Campbell went 3-2 in the opening weekend, defeating St. Francis (Pa.) 7-5 on Schisler's walkoff home run. It also defeated Maryland-Eastern Shore 12-4, North Carolina Central 12-4.
· The Camels fell to St. Francis (Pa.) 7-4 and 6-3 in the final two games of the weekend.
· In the circle, freshman Holly Brooks has a team-best 2.10 ERA in 13.1 innings pitched. She is 1-0 on the season with her first collegiate win against NC Central.
Furman Paladins (0-5)
· Furman seeks its first win of the 2017 campaign after opening up the season winless in five games.
· The Paladins opened the season in Tallahassee, Fla. at the Unconquered Invitational. They dropped a pair of 8 inning games, 5-4 to Marshall and 5-2 to Lipscomb.
· On the season so far, Caroline Cash leads the team with 17 at-bats and a .353 batting average, and six hits.
· Furman only connected on two home runs during the opening weekend and tallied nine RBI. Cash also was a perfect 3-for-3 in stolen bases.
· Lindsey Bert and Emily Demonte pitched 28+ innings during the weekend. Bert boasts a 0-3 record with a 4.50 ERA and nine strikeouts. Demonte has a 6.52 ERA and a 0-2 record.
· Campbell has a 4-3-1 record against Furman, with the last meeting in 2007.
Iona Gaels (0-0)
· Iona enters the 2017 season after a 13-33 overall mark and 7-13 record in the MAAC.
· The Gaels were selected seventh in the preseason poll and senior first basemen Kristen Turner was named to the MAAC First Team.
· Turner finished top-five in six categories in the MAAC including the highest slugging percentage (.708) and second most home runs (11).
· Along with Turner, Katie Newton helped the offense with her 11-for-12 on stolen bases and second-best 49 hits.
· Junior pitcher Jessica Harkness leads the staff coming into the 2017, after a 2016 season where she posted a 4.40 ERA and a 3-7 overall record.
· Campbell is 1-0 against Iona with the lone matchup occurring in 1999.
Towson Tigers (2-3)
· Towson opened the season in Conway, S.C. at the Coastal Carolina tournament, where it took on Alabama, Youngstown State and Coastal Carolina.
· Towson opened the day with a 9-7 win against Youngstown State, followed by a 17-0 loss to Alabama. During day two, the Tigers lost to Alabama 4-2 and Coastal Carolina 4-3.
· In the final day of the tournament, Towson defeated Youngstown State 6-5.
· Holiday Cahill leads the team with a .467 batting average, including a pair of home runs and a .933 slugging percentage.
· Nicole Stockinger has a .400 batting average in 15 at-bats with six hits.
· In the circle, Julia Smith-Harrington has a 4.50 ERA with a 2-1 record and two complete games. She has 12 strikeouts on the season to lead the team.
· Megan Dejter has a 0-2 record and one complete game in 14.1 innings pitched for the Tigers.
· Campbell has a 14-6 record against Towson, with the last meeting happening in 2015.
USC Upstate Spartans (4-2)
· The Spartans enter the weekend after a 4-2 opening weekend of competition.
· They started the season with a 8-0 and 2-1 win against Gardner-Webb. On the weekend, in Charleston, S.C., they dropped a contest to James Madison 4-0 and defeated Charleston Southern 5-3.
· During the second day of the tournament, USC Upstate dropped a 1-0 result to Missouri and defeated Charleston Southern, 4-1.
· Abbie Millete leads the team with a .389 batting average with 18 at-bats, two home runs and a pair of doubles.
· Brittany Case is just behind Millete with a .368 batting average. She also has a team-high five RBI and tied for a team-high seven hits.
· Holly McKinnon has a 1.33 ERA and a 2-1 record in 21 innings pitched. Lexi Shubert also has a sub-2 ERA at 1.56 and a 2-1 overall record with 18 innings pitched.
· Campbell has a 3-7 record against Upstate with the last meeting in 2011.