BUIES CREEK, N.C. – After a convincing conference home victory last Friday, Campbell wrestling is back in action Saturday, Jan. 28, as it travels to take on Chattanooga at noon.
Saturday's dual was originally slated for Jan. 8, but due to inclement weather the contest was rescheduled. The third Southern Conference dual of the year is available for viewing live on the Southern Conference Digital Network (click here).
The Camels most recently knocked off Gardner-Webb 24-12, as they gained victories in seven bouts on the evening. It was the first dual inside of Carter Gym during the 2016-17 season, as CU is scheduled to host three more before the season's end.
Last season against Chattanooga, Campbell fell by a 31-12 result. 12 points is the most that CU has scored against the Mocs in the all-time series. Campbell's Jere Heino faces the only potential rematch from the 2015-16 matchup, as he is slated to take on Jared Johnson.
Two other Camels have faced off against Mocs this season, as Nathan Kraisser knocked off Alonzo Allen 13-10 in the consolation bracket of the Southern Scuffle. Ville Heino and Bryce Carr met in the second round of the 184-pound bracket at the Scuffle, a 12-5 victory for Carr.
Last time out for Campbell:
· Campbell defeated Gardner-Webb in CU's 2016-17 home opener, 24-12. Campbell won 7-of-10 bouts, including N. Kraisser's fall at 1:15 against Artur Hofer in the 125-pound match.
· CU jumped out to a 12-0 advantage after the opening three bouts, as Jonathan Ryan (133) and Joshua Heil (141) picked up decision victories. Each side exchanged wins by decision, before GWU collected nine points to close the gap to three, 15-12.
· The victory was the first over Gardner-Webb since Jan. 23, 2014, a 29-9 win. It is the second time this season Campbell has had seven individual victories in a dual.
In the rankings:
· N. Kraisser sits at No. 13 (InterMat) and No. 11 (Coaches Panel) in the 125-pound weight class.
· V. Heino is listed at No. 22 in the 184-pound Coaches Panel rankings and Jere Heino sits at no. 32 in the 285-pound Coaches Panel rankings.
· Campbell sits at No. 18 in the NWCA Mid-Major Top-20.
Probable lineup for Campbell:
125: No. 13 Nathan Kraisser (22-4, 1-1 SoCon)
133: Jonathan Ryan (8-7, 2-1 SoCon)
141: Joshua Heil (7-11, 2-0 SoCon)
149: Benjamin Barton (5-7, 0-2 SoCon)
157: Austin Kraisser (16-9, 2-0 SoCon)
165: Quentin Perez (10-8, 1-0 SoCon) or Jon Weiss (2-5, 1-0 SoCon)
174: Alexander Herringhsaw (4-10, 0-2 SoCon)
184: Ville Heino (19-6, 2-0 SoCon)
197: Willie Bivens III (5-13, 1-1 SoCon)
285: Jere Heino (15-6, 1-1 SoCon)
Scouting the opponent:
· Previously, UTC took a 29-10 road victory at SIUE, Jan. 21. The Mocs took victories in 8-of-10 matches over the Cougars.
· Chattanooga jumped out to a 13-0 lead, including a major decision at the 125-pound matchup. The Mocs closed out the dual with three consecutive victories at 184, 197, and 285.
· Alonzo Allen (125), Karsten Van Velsor (157), Jake Residori (174), No. 17 Bryce Carr (184), and No. 10 Jared Johnson (285) all picked up bonus point wins in the dual.
· The Mocs are 2-0 in SoCon duals this season and 4-7 overall on the season. They dropped all four contests at the Virginia Duals, including a tight 20-17 result against Bucknell and a 19-18 defeat against Lock Haven.
Probable lineup for Chattanooga:
125: Alonzo Allen (10-10, 2-0 SoCon)
133: Chris Debien (9-9, 2-0 SoCon)
141: Roman Boylen (3-8, 1-0 SoCon) or Chase Zemenak (3-2, 1-0 SoCon)
149: Dylanger Potter (8-11, 2-0 SoCon)
157: Trey Watson (3-7, 0-1 SoCon) or Dalton Clark (0-5, 0-1 SoCon)
165: Justin Lampe (9-9, 2-0 SoCon)
174: Sean Mappes (10-8, 1-1 SoCon) or Chad Solomon (1-5, 0-0 SoCon)
184: No. 17 Bryce Carr (18-3, 2-0 SoCon)
197: Clay Dent (4-6, 2-0 SoCon) or D.J. Franklin-Smith (7-8, 0-0 SoCon)
285: No. 10 Jared Johnson (20-4, 2-0 SoCon)
· Campbell returns home to Carter Gym Thursday, Feb. 2 at 6 p.m. vs. Davidson. Three days later, CU will have its final road contest of the season at The Citadel, at 2 p.m.