BUIES CREEK, N.C. – After defeating Chattanooga, Campbell wrestling welcomes Davidson to Carter Gym Thursday at 6 p.m. in Southern Conference action.
The Camels (6-6, 2-1) enter Thursday's dual after picking up their second SoCon victory of the season, as they defeated Chattanooga, 21-19. CU closed the dual with three consecutive decision victories for the come from behind victory.
Thursday's dual against Davidson (3-10, 0-3) can be viewed live on the Big South Network by way of the video tab above and by clicking here.
Last year against Davidson, the Camels won 42-3, as Tony Palumbo picked up the lone points for the Wildcats. Campbell has won five of the last six meetings against Davidson, dating back to Feb. 10, 2011 and 30-7 overall against Davidson.
Last time out for Campbell:
· Campbell picked up six individual victories against Chattanooga en route to the come from behind victory, Saturday, Jan. 28.
· Heil won by a slim 7-6 decision over Chase Zemenak. Barton picked up four points with his 10-1 major decision against Dylanger Potter and Kraisser finished his match quickly with an 18-1 tech fall over Dalton Clark.
· After back-to-back defeats, Campbell trailed 19-12 as the match entered the 184-pound match.
· In the final bout, No. 32 Jere Heino pulled out a late takedown and near-fall to knock off No. 10 Jared Johnson, 9-4, and give CU the victory.
· J. Heino's victory over Johnson gave him SoCon Wrestler of the Week accolades during the week of Jan. 25-31. The first of his career.
In the rankings:
· Nathan Kraisser is slotted at No. 14 in TheOpenMat rankings at 125. He is also at No. 15 in the InterMat poll, No. 16 in the WIN and FloWrestling rankings and No. 20 in TrackWrestling rankings for the 125-pound class. He sits at No. 11 in the Coaches Panel rankings.
· Ville Heino cracked the top-20 at No. 18 in the InterMat and TheOpenMat rankings at 184. He also is at No. 20 in WIN, TrackWrestling, and FloWrestling rankings. In the coaches panel, Heino sits at No. 22.
· Jere Heino is at No. 19 in the FloWrestling rankings at 285. He also is at No. 32 in the Coaches Panel rankings.
· In the NWCA Mid-Major Top 20, Campbell is at No. 18. The poll does not include Campbell's most recent victory over Chattanooga, a win that will put Campbell on the rise in the poll.
Campbell probable lineup:
125 - Aaron Burton
133 – Jonathan Ryan
141 - Joshua Heil
149 - Benjamin Barton
157 - Austin Kraisser
184 - Ville Heino
197 - Willie Bivens III
HWT - Jere Heino
Scouting the opponent:
· Davidson has yet to record a SoCon victory, most recently falling to Chattanooga, 44-3. It also dropped conference matches to SIUE 42-4, and Appalachian State 43-3.
· The Wildcats have earned wins against Keystone (44-4), Greensboro College (32-16), and Washington and Lee (23-12).
· Tony Palumbo leads the team with a 12-4 overall record and 8-1 in dual bouts at 157. Konner Pritchard has a 7-10 overall record at 184.
Davidson probable lineup:
125: Camden Bertucci
133: Dustin Runzo
141: Hunter Costa
149: Aidan Conroy
157: Tony Palumbo
165: Noah Satterfield
174: Conor Fenn
184: Konner Pritchard
197: Ryan Devlin
HWT: Will Cooley
· Campbell has a quick turnaround as it travels to The Citadel, Feb. 5 at 2 p.m., for its fifth Southern Conference dual of the season.