BUIES CREEK, N.C. – After a sound home victory Thursday evening, Campbell wrestling is back in action Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. at The Citadel. The dual can be viewed live on the SoCon Digital Network, through ESPN3.
The Camels (7-6, 3-1) enter Sunday's dual after a 42-3 home victory against Davidson inside Carter Gym. CU won nine matches on the night, including eight bonus point victories.
Last time against The Citadel (2-7, 1-2), Campbell claimed a 19-16 victory in its home SoCon meeting. Campbell squared off against The Citadel in non-conference action at the Virginia Duals, Jan. 9, 2016, a 22-17 result in favor of the Bulldogs.
Last timeout for Campbell:
· Campbell notched eight bonus point victories en route to the 42-3 victory over Davidson. CU won nine matches on the night.
· Joshua Heil started the dual with a 16-1 tech fall in the first period at 141. Benjamin Barton continued with an 11-3 major decision win and Austin Kraisser picked up a forfeit victory at 157 to put Campbell ahead 15-0.
· Willie Bivens III collected a 7-3 decision victory and Jere Heino earned a first period fall to continue the shutout at 39-0. Davidson recorded a decision win at 125 to get on the board, but the Camels closed out the dual with a major decision win by Jonathan Ryan to win 42-3.
In the rankings:
Due to the quick turnaround of Campbell's duals, the rankings have not been updated since the previous dual.
· Nathan Kraisser is at No. 14 in TheOpenMat rankings, No. 15 in the InterMat poll, No. 16 in the WIN and FloWrestling rankings and No. 20 in TrackWrestling rankings for the 125-pound class. He is at No. 11 in the Coaches Panel rankings.
· Ville Heino sits at No. 18 in the InterMat and TheOpenMat rankings at 184. He is at No. 20 in WIN, TrackWrestling, and FloWrestling rankings. In the coaches panel, Heino sits at No. 22.
· Jere Heino is at No. 19 in the FloWrestling rankings at 285. He also is at No. 32 in the Coaches Panel rankings.
· In the NWCA Mid-Major Top 20, Campbell is at No. 18. The poll does not include Campbell's most recent victory over Chattanooga, a win that will put Campbell on the rise in the poll.
Campbell probable lineup:
125 Nathan Kraisser
133 Jonathan Ryan
141 Joshua Heil
149 Benjamin Barton
157 Austin Kraisser
184 Ville Heino
285 Jere Heino
Scouting the opponent:
· Most recently, The Citadel knocked off VMI, 19-16, for its first conference win of the year.
· Prior to their win over VMI, The Citadel lost seven team duals dating back to Dec. 17, 2016. Its last dual win was a 40-3 victory over DII Coker College.
· Against VMI, The Citadel picked up victories at 141, 149, 157, 197, and 285 for the win. At 141, Douglas Gudenburr notched a 10-6 decision win. At 149 Ty Buckiso won by fall at 3:27. Aaron Walker won by 11-10 decision at 157. In the upper weights, Sawyer Root won by an 8-0 major decision and Joe Bexley won by a 5-1 decision at 285.
· The Citadel took fifth overall during the All-Acadmey Championships, Jan. 29 in Annapolis, Md. Root and Andrew Szaliwinski finished third in their respective weight classes.
The Citadel probable opponent:
125 Patrick Kearney
133 Andrew Szalwinski
141 Douglas Gudenburr
149 Ty Buckiso
157 Aaron Walker
165 Ruston Hill OR Jason Carr
174 Martin Duane
184 Chandler Sambets
197 Sawyer Root
285 Joe Bexley
· Campbell will host its final two SoCon duals at home, Feb. 11 at noon against SIUE and Feb. 18 at 5 p.m. against VMI. Both duals will be inside Carter Gym.