Campbell falls to ETSU in double overtime, 3-2

Shelby Denkert (27)
Shelby Denkert (27) (

JOHNSON CITY, TENN. - Campbell dropped its second game in three days Sunday afternoon, falling to East Tennessee State in double overtime, 3-2. ETSU defender Hanna Short netted the game-tying and game-winning goals for the Buccaneers.

In the 102nd minute, Short received a pass from midfielder Paola Roversi and floated it over the head of junior goalkeeper Sammy Lawson and out of the reach of the Camel defense.

"It was just one of those ball where everyone just froze for a second and waiting to see what happened," head coach Stuart Horne said. "By the time we reacted it was too late. 

ETSU midfielder Sarah Zadrazil scored the first goal of the match in the 15th minute, assisted by midfielder Molly Collinson.

The team nearly gave up another goal in the 31st minute off a corner kick but junior defender Cydney Smith cleared the danger away. Lawson lost the ball on the cross, but Smith found the ball rolling toward the near side post and kicked it out of the Campbell zone. 

Sophomore defender Nicole Connolly answered in the 40th minute with her first goal of the season, and her collegiate career. Senior defender Kellsey Costello-Mays threaded a ball to Connolly who shot the ball into the net as she was being pulled down by a Buccaneer defender. Freshman forward Olivia Bethune was credited with the secondary assist.

Costello-Mays tallied her second assist of the game on a goal by senior midfielder Alexis Prada in the 69th minute that gave the Camels a 2-1 lead for 1:41 before Short's equalizer.

"It was a crescendo, we started off sluggish; we had a little talk, we switched some things and we had a lot better second half," Horne said. "They're coming off an overtime game Thursday, we're coming off a game Friday, so there were heavy legs."

Junior goalkeeper Alexis Connor started the match for the Camels but was replaced by Lawson in the second half; Connors tallied two saves in the match.

"East Tennessee likes to play a lot of balls inside the box and that's one of Sammy's strengths; she's good at defending that kind of play," Horne said. 

Lawson faced a fluster of shots late, including a play with 30 seconds remaining in the second half where she sprinted out of the box and dived toward a ball within reach of an ETSU forward. The ball deflected wide of the left post, forcing the first ten-minute overtime.

She faced 18 of ETSU's 24 shots in 65 minutes of play and recorded six saves. Campbell finished the match with 12 shots, four on goal.

"I'm not sure what we ran out of," Horne said. "We're still growing as a team on the field. We're fine-tuning now. Given where we could be, I'm okay with that.

"It's just the finer details we're trying to tweak with them as a group. I think that overtime goal was just a product of one of those things that need to be fine tuned."

Costello-Mays recorded the first multi-assist match of her collegiate career; Bethune's secondary assist on Connolly's goal was her first collegiate point. 

"The team is good, we understand the big picture," Horne said. "It's just another step toward where we're going."

With the loss Campbell falls to 1-2 on the season and ETSU improves its record to 4-0.

The Camels will be back in action Thursday as they travel to Norfolk, Va., to take on Old Dominion; kickoff is slated for 5 p.m.

For more Campbell women's soccer information follow on Twitter and Instagram at @GoCamelsWSOC, and on Facebook.