Campbell wins fifth consecutive match; Edges North Florida 4-3 Saturday
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Campbell won the doubles point and split singles matches with North Florida as it went on to a 4-3 women's tennis victory Saturday at the Nisbet Tennis Center.
CU won its fifth-straight dual match and improved to a league-best 4-0 in Atlantic Sun play. Campbell won two of the three doubles matches, with Lisa Sutton and Dominek Wallaart earning an 8-1 win in the first spot and Heather Robinson and Anais Gomar winning 8-3 in the third position.
Lisa Sutton and Karolina Chernaya earned three-set victories in the first and second spots of singles play and Natasha Afridi defeated Melinda Doak 6-4, 6-2 in the number-six position.
"It's been an outstanding effort, and you have to give credit to our players," said head coach David Johnson. "They worked really hard and fought to get a really good win. This was one of the finest days we've had this year."
The Camels return to action Tuesday as they travel to Boiling Springs to take on Gardner-Webb in a 2 p.m. start.
Campbell 4, North Florida 3
1. Lisa Sutton (CAM) d. Aline Berkenbrock (UNF) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
2. Karolina Chernaya (CAM) d. Danielle Day (UNF) 7-6, 0-6, 6-2
3. Victoria Krook (UNF) d. Borislava Nikolova (CAM) 6-2, 6-1
4. Melanie Aguirre (UNF) d. Heather Robinson (CAM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Simona Weymar (UNF) d. Dominek Wallaart (CAM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Natasha Afridi (CAM) d. Melinda Doak (UNF) 6-4, 6-2
1. Sutton/Wallaart (CAM) d. Berkenbrock/Weymar (UNF) 8-1
2. Day/Aguirre (UNF) d. Chernaya/Nikolova (CAM) 8-2
3. Robinson/Anais Gomar (CAM) d. Krook/Doak (UNF) 8-3
Records: Campbell (8-4, 4-0 A-Sun), North Florida (6-3, 2-1)