Women’s Tennis Wins Regular Season Finale 5-2 over Charlotte
BUIES CREEK – The Campbell University Women's Tennis team won its regular season finale 5-2 Friday afternoon over Charlotte. Natasha Afridi clinched the match for Camels (11-7, 2-6), while senior Anais Gomar won her last home match in the orange and black.
Trailing 2-0, Gomar put the Camels on the board with her win over Emmanuelle Briant in the six spot (6-3, 6-4). The Lleida, Spain native is 11-6 this season, and is 3-0 in her last three matches.
Shortly after Gomar's win, freshman Katya Yegorychenko tied the match at 2-2 by defeating Iveta Guneva (6-2, 6-3) in the five spot. Karolina Chernaya would then give Campbell its first lead of the day at 3-2 by knocking off Alexandra Zinn (6-3, 7-5) in the one spot. Chernaya is 12-6 this season and 4-3 in her last seven matches.
Campbell would keep the momentum going as Afridi would clinch the match for the Camels by beating Andrea Rivera (7-6, 6-2) in the two spot. The Tokyo, Japan native is 4-0 since moving to the two spot and stands at 12-4 this season. Tamara Stanic would give the Camels their fifth and final point with her victory in the three spot.
Campbell returns to the courts Thursday, April 19 at the Big South Tournament in Asheville, N.C.
Charlotte 49ers vs Campbell
Apr 13, 2012 at Buies Creek, N.C.
Campbell 5, Charlotte 49ers 2
1. CHERNAYA, Karolina (CAMW) def. Alexandra Zinn (CHA) 6-3, 7-5
2. AFRIDI, Natasha (CAMW) def. Andrea Rivera (CHA) 7-6, 6-2
3. STANIC, Tamara (CAMW) def. Natsuko Takayanagi (CHA) 6-4, 5-7, 10-5
4. Anna Ekelund (CHA) def. NIKOLOVA, Borislava (CAMW) 6-1, 6-3
5. YEGOREYCHENKO, Katya (CAMW) def. Iveta Guneva (CHA) 6-2, 6-3
6. GOMAR, Anais (CAMW) def. Emmanuelle Briant (CHA) 6-3, 6-4
1. Andrea Rivera/Alexandra Zinn (CHA) def. CHERNAYA, Karolina/NIKOLOVA, Borislava (CAMW) 8-4
2. Anna Ekelund/Emmanuelle Briant (CHA) def. YEGOREYCHENKO, Katya/STANIC, Tamara (CAMW) 9-7
3. Natsuko Takayanagi/Dominica Nemec (CHA) def. AFRIDI, Natasha/GOMAR, Anais (CAMW) 8-5
Charlotte 49ers 15-5 (3-1)
Campbell 11-7 (2-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (4,6,5,1,2,3)