Goral Announces 2013 Volleyball Recruiting Class
BUIES CREEK, N.C. – The first recruiting class for head volleyball coach Greg Goral became official on Thursday with the signing of National Letters of Intent by middle blocker Jenny Tait (Omiston, Australia) and setter Rebecca Ramirez (Long Beach, Calif.). The class also includes two transfers in sophomores libero Mary Crema (Loveland, Ohio) and outside Alexis Hein (Murrieta, Calif.).
"I am very excited about this group because all of them have strong competitive volleyball backgrounds, which they can build upon," said coach Goral. "They are also great students that will fit into the culture we are trying to establish here at Campbell. Lastly, they are quality people, who care about others and have high expectations of themselves. These young ladies are going to help build a strong team dynamic for the fall season."
Jenny Tait comes to Buies Creek with international experience, playing with the Australian youth national team. The Ormiston, Australia, native attended Redlands College (AUS) and participated with the Queensland State team over the past three seasons.
"Jenny has international experience that will help her transition to the collegiate game smoothly," said coach Goral. "She moves well, is a tremendous blocker and has an opportunity to contribute to the program early in her career. The attitude and work ethic that she competes with will be an asset our program."
The 6-1 middle blocker has high aspirations after college in wanting to play for her country.
The second signee is Rebecca Ramirez, a 5-6 setter. The Long Beach, Calif., native played last year for head coach Aric Anderson at Saint Joseph High School.
"Rebecca has a great skill set that is needed by every program," said coach Goral. "As a seasoned setter, she has a great ability to put up hittable balls no matter what kind of first contact she receives. She has a very good sense for the game, the ability to react to different situations and composure to run the offense. She is a very encouraging and fun person to be around, which will help our team chemistry."
Ramirez completed her senior campaign with 596 assists, 36 aces, 120 digs and 21 kills. She also competed with the Seal Volleyball Club (2006-09) and TCA Volleyball Club (2009-13).
Incoming sophomore in outside hitter Alexis Hein enters as a junior academically because an injury forced her to miss the 2012 season at Arkansas-Little Rock. As a freshman, the Murrieta, Calif., native, appeared in 88 sets with 119 kills, 34 digs and 25 blocks as the Trojans went 11-20 overall and 6-10 in the Sun Belt.
"Lexi is the veteran of this group," said coach Goral. "She has a season as a starter at the collegiate level and is a strong six-rotation option for us. Lexi will help strengthen our passing and defense along with adding athleticism as an attacker. As an older player, she will bring her knowledge and poise to this group as well as leadership."
The two-year varsity lettterwinner for head coach Kristin Cooke at Vista Murrieta High School helped the Broncos to the 2010 Southwestern League Championship, while the team was a semifinalist in the CIF Division I Southern Section. Hein is a two-time Southwestern All-League recipient.
A transfer from Cincinnati in libero Mary Crema also brings collegiate experience in this class. The Loveland, Ohio, native played in all 30 matches along with six starts for the Bearcats and tallied 126 digs and 12 assists. She ranked second on the team with 15 service aces.
"Mary is a great addition for us," said coach Goral. "Last season, Mary received some good experience playing in the Big East, which will allow her to play with confidence. Like the other signees, Mary has a great work ethic and is determined to succeed in everything she does. She also has a lot of fun and will be a strong leader for this team."
Crema was a two-year starter for head coach Joe Burke at Mount Notre Dame High School. The 2011 All-Girls Greater Cincinnati League (GGCL) and All-City Under Armour Watch List help the Cougars to a win in the State Championship game. She was a member of the Cincy Classics Club Volleyball team from 2007-12.
Tait, Rameriez, Hein and Crema are set to join the Camels in August.
Jenny Tait – Fr. – 6-1 – MB – Ormiston, Australia / Redlands College
- Played for the Austrialian youth national team
- Participated with the Queensland State team from 2009-12
- Attended the Queensland Academy of Sport form 2010-13
Rebecca Ramirez – Fr. – 5-6 – S – Long Beach, Calif. / Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph High School (2009-12)
- One-year varsity letterwinner for head coach Aric Anderson at Saint Joseph High School
- 2012 Del Rey All-League First Team
- Finished senior campaign with 596 assists, 36 service aces, 120 digs and 21 kills
- Played for Seal Beach Volleyball Club (2006-09) and TCA Volleyball Club (2009-13).
Mary Crema – So. – 5-7 – L/DS – Loveland, Ohio / Mount Notre Dame (Cincinnati)
- Played in 30 matches and 100 sets while making six starts
- Finished the season with 126 digs and 12 assists
- Ranked second on the team with 15 service aces
- Recorded a career-high 13 digs twice, at USF (9/30) and at Xavier (10/3)
- Posted a career-high three service aces at Xavier (10/3) and against New Mexico State (8/31)
- Totaled one assist and eight digs at Miami (Ohio) (11/24)
- Contributed two assists, an ace and four digs against Rutgers (10/5)
- Registered one kill, three aces and 13 digs at Xavier (10/3)
- Generated six digs and an ace against DePaul (9/23)
- Worked for seven digs against UCF (9/14)
- Recorded 12 digs against No. 23 Illinois (9/15)
- Finished with eight digs and three service aces against New Mexico State (8/31)
- Added eight digs and an assist against No. 15 Tennessee (8/25)
Mount Notre Dame High School (2008-11)
- Two-year varsity starter for head coach Joe Burke at Mount Notre Dame High School
- 2011 All-Girls Greater Cincinnati League (GGCL) and All-City Honorable Mention
- 2011 Under Armour Watch List
- Served as team captain as a senior leading the Cougars to the State Championship
- Team combined for a 44-12 record during her varsity career
- Finished with 44 aces, 357 digs, 14 assists and a 94.9 serving percentage as a senior
- 2010 regional champions and finished second in the league
- The Cougars were one of the National Guard Top 3 Teams in nation
- Played Club with the Cincy Classics (2007-12).
- Member of the National Honor Society (2009-11) and graduated with honors
Alexis Hein – So. – 5-10 – OH/RS – Murrieta, Calif./Vista Murrieta (Arkansas-Little Rock)
Arkansas-Little Rock (2011-12)
- Redshirted during the 2012 season due to injury
- Played in 88 sets as an outside hitter during freshman season for head coach Van Compton
- Finished with 119 kills, 34 digs, and 25 total blocks
- The Trojans were 11-20 overall and 6-10 in the Sun Belt
- Recorded nine kills vs. ULM (11/11/11) with a .444 attacking pct.
- Posted six digs at Florida Atlantic (10/21/11)
- Tallied three total blocks vs. Georgia State (9/3/11) and at North Texas (11/6/11)
Vista Murrieta High School (2007-2010)
- Two-year varsity letterwinner for head coach Kristen Cooke at Vista Murrieta High School
- The Broncos were 2010 Southwestern League Champions and were semifinalists in the CIF Division IA Southern Section
- Two-time Southwestern League all-league recipient (2009-10
- 2011 All-CIF Division A1 Southern Section, Senior Female-Athlete of the Year for the Citrus Belt Area and VMHS Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year for 2010-11
- Participated with the Temecula Volleyball Club (2009-11) and 951 Elite Volleyball Club (2007-08)